Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon3 New WarThunder rig under construction - need your input.

Hey guys,
    so I’ve decided to build a rig and finally move away from these flimsy flat things we call laptops. Haven’t dealt and messed with actual hardware components in years and actually did my best on research and reading up on new things - time permitting of course. As of right now i am still deployed for the foreseeable future but i am planning ahead and might order the parts as soon as i get orders back.
    Here is what I have planned:

- Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz
    - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    - Asus Z87-Pro ATX
    - G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866
    - Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD
    - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
    - EVGA GeForce GTX 760
    - Azza Solano 1000R ATX Full Tower
    - EVGA 750W ATX12V / EPS12V

Now you guys come in if you are willing to help out a fellow member. I can’t seem to figure out the difference between the GeForce GTX 760 and the GTX 760 TI. I will buy one of them but in future i will get a second one for 2-way SLI, is there anything i should be aware with either one? Another worry of mine was the question about power supplies. I wasn’t hundred percent sure about how much Watts i would require and amps on the 12v rails, etc.. I tried to figure out best i could from several articles on the web and came up with the one listed above. If one of you guys has time and could double check and/or confirm that its not completely off? Watts wise i should be well above the build need if i understood everything right but I will be adding more stuff to it over time (HDDs, etc. ) so i decided to shoot higher, major concern is if the 12v rails can handle the GeForce card(s). Also if you guys might have suggestions on substituting some parts for others you recommend / have dealt with in the past. Basically any kind of input would be appreciated!

The above list of components is slightly shortened (not including DVD drive, Windows 7). Full list is available here for easier overview:
    (Link to PCPartPicker)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

sorry for double post. But i am also debating to go with a EVGA GeForce 770 4GB.. so many decisions to make..

Can I have your Tots Carcinognic's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I haven't seen anything about Nvidia coming out with a Ti version of the 760. If they did, it would be a step above the 760, but still less than a 770. Do you plan on overclocking your processor? If not, you don't have to spend the extra on an unlocked processor and can scale back on the motherboard if you're trying to save money. I noticed the motherboard you picked out has built-in wireless. A new wireless standard recently came out called wireless-AC. Wireless-N is more than sufficient, but something to keep in mind. You picked out a non-reference GTX 760. That is ideal for a single card, but i think you would be better off with a reference card for SLI. I run two non-reference GTX 760s in SLI and they run well, but I like to keep them around 60C so the fans are usually around 70-80% speed. Reference style just means that it uses a blower to send heat out the back where-as non-reference means it has fans blowing heat into the case. As for the power supply, I had a 750w and it was fine when I was running 2 460s, but it would fail with the 760s. I upgraded to a 850w and everything is running smoothly again. You can pick up an 850w for about the same price. You chose Windows 7 for your OS. That will be fine. On a side note about it, Windows 8 takes up less room and with BF4 and Windows 8 on my 120g SSD, I have 21GB left.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Symthic's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Your build is fine, but I would try to cut back on some parts and get a better graphics card. For example, you have a pretty good motherboard, but unless you plan on heavily overclocking, it won't give many benefits over having a cheaper one. I'd also consider another case. I currently have the AzzA Hurrican 2000 and to be honest I'm a bit disappointed. It looks cool, but there are much better cases for the price that I got mine at, and the case you chose isn't very popular. Just look around and see if there are any other popular alternatives that you like because, like with most computer hardware, if cases are popular, then it's for a good reason. Also, if you have some spare money, consider switching your SSD out for a Samsung 840 Pro. The 840 has an option for around the same size as the SSD that you chose and it $20 more, but it's very popular, and like I said before, popular=good in most cases in terms of hardware.

Like Carcinognic said, there isn't a 760Ti as far as I know, but it would just be a slightly faster version of the 760 if Nvidia releases it.

Your PSU is fine for your current build, even if you decide to throw in a second graphics card.

As for reference vs non-reference cards, I highly recommend a reference card of non-reference, especially if you are doing SLI. Yes, it will make the ambient temperature of your case a bit hotter, but unless your case flat out sucks, then it shouldn't be anything more than a few degrees, which won't affect much. This is made up for by superior clock speeds and better cooling for the GPU. If you look on most boxes for non-reference graphics cards, it'll say something like "20% cooler and quieter", and compared to reference cards, it's true. This is because reference cards are just designed to run smoothly and not much more than that. However, non-reference cards expect you to overclock, and because of that, they throw on more fans, add more heat pipes, increase the surface area of the fins, sometimes even redesign the entire PCB, etc... All this combined gives a large advantage in temperatures, performance, and volume when compared to reference cards. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you SLI, your graphics cards will have to be the same model (e.g if you have a 770 you have to SLI it with another 770) and both graphics cards have to have the same amount of VRAM. Also, if one GPU is clocked faster than the other GPU, the faster GPU will automatically underclock itself to the speed of the slower card.

Going back to what I said in my first paragraph, if you cut down on some parts that you don't really need high quality for, then you'll be able to easily afford a 770 and perhaps even have some money left to spare. However, ask yourself what kinds of games you play. If you just play War Thunder, then a 760 will run it fine on the highest settings, but if you also play games like BF4, then go with the 770, but I wouldn't go any higher than a 770 unless you have more than one monitor or are gaming on resolutions higher than 1080p because a 770 and a 780 have essentially the same FPS for 1080p gaming and you'll be wasting money if you buy the 780.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

hey,
    thanks for the detailed feedback, very helpful and i really do appreciate it.
    About your guys' reference vs non-reference cards i have one tiny question. How can you tell if a card is reference or not? I've been looking around and when i look at a card on newegg i dont seem to be able to find anywhere where it says reference or not? Am i blind or just looking in the wrong place? But thanks for explaining the whole reference thing, honestly i have never heard of it until you guys brought it up.
    I've decided to go with a different PSU as well. The one i've picked before turned out had some bad reviews i didnt see.. going with the SeaSonic X-Series X-850 for now. Also I am leaning towards the EVGA GTX770 4GB . Not sure if that is reference or not. Also for now i won't go down the SLI way but in future i most likely will and i am aware it needs to be two same cards :) .
    For a new case i've swapped to the Rosewill THOR V2 White. Overall got better reviews on the swapped out parts and it raised the price up a bit but thats not breaking the bank too much. I am planning on OCing the CPU in future as well but i will be running it normal for now and slowly take steps in the right direction, hence the k model and the motherboard. This is basically going to be my starter rig but a work in progress still.
    What do you guys think of the new additions to the partlist?

//EDIT: Here is a link to the 760 Ti from Nvidia btw.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Symthic's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

That is a non-reference GPU. The easiest way to tell is simply by how the heatsink looks. The heatsinks for most reference Nvidia cards will look like this: http://www.legitreviews.com/images/r...ce_GTX_770.jpg. If your GPU doesn't look exactly like that, then it's non-reference. In your case, you are running the EVGA's ACX (Active Cooling Extreme) cooler, which is one of the higher end GPU's in my opinion. Also, if you are going for a 770, I'd recommend this GPU instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130925. It's EVGA's Classified Series 770, which is the absolute best that EVGA offers and, in my opinion, it's the best 770 in general. The best part is that it's only $10 more than your current GPU.

As for the PSU, your current one was fine, but there's no harm in an upgrade. I've never personally heard of your PSU before but it has good reviews so I think it's fine.

For your case, I'd highly consider this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119160. It's a tiny bit smaller than the case you currently have selected and it costs a bit more, but the Cooler Master HAF is probably the most popular case of all time and it's right around your price range, so I'd recommend you to consider it at the very least.

I did not know about the 760Ti, thanks for informing me.

Knee High to a Worms Ass Tpotts's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you let me know the budget. I could see about putting something together for what you want. I have been building gaming pc's for over 6 years!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Sure my budget is around the $1,500 - $1,600.
    thanks for pointing me to the classified series, i'll most likely will stick with that one.