MRCrikey

Default Xfire Graphics card setup.....

Looking at turning my single card beast into a dual card rig.

currently it has a sapphire ATI 7970 in it (according to the system information tool).

just curious about other peoples thoughts on this & if there are any tips and tricks regarding anything tricky I should keep in mind?

thanks in advance :)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

It is my understanding that your always better to go with One card that gives you the performance that you require in terms of gaming then to go with two cards MRCrikey. The reason behind this is that alot of games don't actually recognize that second card to its full potential so your really going with say 1.5 cards or even 1 card sometimes. You'll also notice frame stutering, what i've found looking around and seeing some of the guys with huge mega rigs. [Chris Roberts - Star Citizen] your dual card setups are really only for people who do alot of 3d rendering, that require more then one monitor doing high intensive things like that. Please folks, correct me if i'm wrong in this mater.

MRCrikey

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Darkn3ss F4lls View Post
    It is my understanding that your always better to go with One card that gives you the performance that you require in terms of gaming then to go with two cards MRCrikey. The reason behind this is that alot of games don't actually recognize that second card to its full potential so your really going with say 1.5 cards or even 1 card sometimes. You'll also notice frame stutering, what i've found looking around and seeing some of the guys with huge mega rigs. [Chris Roberts - Star Citizen] your dual card setups are really only for people who do alot of 3d rendering, that require more then one monitor doing high intensive things like that. Please folks, correct me if i'm wrong in this mater.
    thanks for the response Darkn3ss,
    hmm.... yes I had heard the same thing, but I have also heard reports of boosted game performance too... both from reliable(ish) sources. still curious, especially to hear from anyone who has an xfire setup :)

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Symthic's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well, there's not much performance to be lost from crossfiring as opposed to keeping your current build. A trick is that to crossfire, you don't need the exact same card, they just have to be from the same GPU family, so for your case, you can crossfire your 7970 with a 7950, a 7970, or an R9 280x. Yes, you read that right. You can crossfire a 7970 with an R9 280x. Just make sure that your power supply is strong enough and that you have some custom heatsinks on your GPU's to prevent overheating/throttling. However, I'd still recommend against crossfiring. Your current build is fine for gaming and will run most games on ultra for at least the next three years, unless you're running more than one monitor or you have a resolution higher than 1080p, which is unlikely.