Thread: Thief 4 review

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Thief 4 review

I was a MAJOR fan of Thief 1 and 2. T3 was like Highlander 2: you just want to ignore that it ever existed.

This Thief though had a recipe for greatness and it did partially do the job. The levels were nice, if not consolized and thus smaller with load zones, but there was a lot to explore and find. AI random conversations were effing annoying as they had one one or two things they would say across the entire damn level. I lost count how many times I heard two guards talk about "What does third offense get you? The noose..." or "I rolled Polly Adler last night..."

Seriously, why can't companies go hog wild on random AI conversations. Dishonored did this better than most games by having random questions with random, but generic, answers.

Graphics are good, movement is good, weapons are good, and stealth is actually better than most games. It's just the finishing touches that could have fixed the overall atmosphere. Like, how can you HONESTLY steal earrings off of a person? In T4, you can and they don't notice a thing. Oh, and you can make the game as hard or as bloody easy as you want. An interesting feature, but not enough to really call it a PC game. Basically, you can edit how much HUD you see, how much the environment gives you hints to loot locations and secret stuff, and how tough it is to sneak around. I recommend taking a long look at these options because they can really help the game feel more stealthy and not give it "kiddie mode" difficulty.

Now on to the "factions". Thief 1 and 2 had incredibly separate factions with completely different ideologies. They kind of tried to do that in this game but it felt uninspired. Gone are the lovely poems of "The Metal Age" and here to stay are just dudes talking to each other like dudes. "Weather's changing..." Also, you kind of got the feeling that the City, in T1/T2, was mankind's only stronghold. Thus it was the City vs the wilderness. Not so in T4. The City, despite being called that, is just a city among other cities, among other countries. There's no reason to call it "The City" with a capital C anymore.

Basically T4 is Dishonored 2, but without magic and less moral decisions to make. (Which actually makes me happy because I hated not able to use half of my spells or gear in Dishonored to get the best ending.) Thief really isn't this way which is a relief to me. But it's Dishonored with the City, stealth, random AI talking, a plague like thing killing people, and what not. The plots are obviously different, but the settings are almost as if one company bought the game from the other and just made their own unique copy.

As a diehard Thief fan, I had to play this game. It's WORLDS better than T3, but it doesn't match the atmosphere and feeling that one got from T1 and T2. (Man T2 was such a phenom of a game.)

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I never played any of the previous Thief games. (I think I may have played the first one for 5 minutes, but it kept crashing on Windows 7 so I gave up) But I bought the new Thief game under the recommendation of a friend (It was like 30% off on a certain site). I enjoyed it, though I found some parts of it to be really annoying/stupid.

Spoiler

I really hated the fact that the game seemed to be a normal "thieving" kind of game, seemed fun, but then it started to focus so much on the paranormal things going on. Just seemed like at one point the game just took a 180 on itself and focused REALLY hard on being about magic and whatnot. Just me. Though, the Asylum area was definitely one of my favorite areas in the game. So spooky, but not "tryhard" spooky.

Another thing that bothered me about the game was the constant use of the "squeeze through narrow passage and lift up beam midway so you can squeeze through" thing. It felt like a copy and paste job every time I had to go through it. It also seemed just really implausible. Opening windows all the time was one thing (Though, if you go inside a house, why would you lock the window behind you? lol), but having all of those narrow pathways just hurt the game for me. I get that they used them as a loading screen. I'm assuming they added that stuff so as to load the next area seamlessly (Or, sometimes seamlessly. I occasionally got hit with a loading screen).

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Rainbow, the theme you saw in T4 is somewhat reflected in T1 and T2. They had to include it to have it mesh up with the previous world designs. T1 was about magic and T2 was about clockwork. T3 tried to merge the two.

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_mecra View Post
    Rainbow, the theme you saw in T4 is somewhat reflected in T1 and T2. They had to include it to have it mesh up with the previous world designs. T1 was about magic and T2 was about clockwork. T3 tried to merge the two.
    Ah, okay.

Overall, I feel it was a good game, I just didn't like how far they went with some things.

Knee High to a Worms Ass Xenthius's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thank you for that review, definitely worth a look.