Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default How can i troubleshoot a motherboard?

Hey AOD, ive searched around google and couldnt really find ways to test if your motherboard is fried or not. So was wondering if any of you now of some ways to test it. thanks! Dude.

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well, let's start with the obvious:

Can you turn the computer on? Does it load the BIOS and then Windows or whatever OS you have?

If you can turn the computer on and load into your OS, then you should be OK.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The problem im having is i have no power to my mouse or keyboard and nothing will show up on the monitor. Ive tried removing my RAM and CMOS battery for awhile and reseating them but it is still giving me problems. All the fans are working on the cpu and psu so i dont think its a power issue. Not sure what else to try tho. Thanks for the help rainbow

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

also tried plugging my video into my integrated video card on my Motherboard and still no display or power to mouse/keyboard

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ok... Limited info to go on, but I'll take a stab. PSU supplies multiple voltages to the motherboard and if all of them aren't correct it can cause odd ball symptoms like the ones you describe. It can also cause the appearance of a blown motherboard when the board is simply not receiving the power it needs to run properly. Fans turning on the PSU is a good sign, but not a guarantee that all voltages are correct. To properly test a PSU you need a multimeter or a PSU tester. Fact of the matter is the motherboard is one of the sturdiest electronics in your system and PSU is one the weakest. There are contributing factors that may change this in certain situations, like overclocking or tweeking the system, but none of those were mentioned here so I can't say positively one way or another what item on your system is effected.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah i didnt overclock or tweek anything at all. Ive had to replace my power supply at the end of this past summer but thats the only thing ive had to replace since i bought this in 09. Ill get a multimeter/psu tester and chest out if the motherboard is getting proper voltages. Thanks wrath. Anything else i could maybe check for in the mean time?

my comps specs are
    AMD Athlon(tm) 7850 Dual-Core Processor 2.8GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
    8 gb RAM
    and my PSU HP585DB 585W ATX12V
    thanks for the help guys

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Connections, connections and then check them again. Especially pay attention to the 24 pin PSU to motherboard cable and making sure that all pins are making a solid contact. You might try disconnecting and reconnecting all the connectors, just to insure proper seating and sometimes doing so will clean oxidation that might have formed. Also, I'd disconnect your harddrive and DVD/disk drives and attempt booting for a bios only. You mentioned that you tried switching to your on board graphics, did you remove your other graphics card? Most modern motherboards will automatically disable on board graphics output when a card is detected on boot up.

Can I have your Tots CreaminFreeman's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I would try taking the CPU out. If it doesn't scream bloody murder then your board is probably bad. If it does scream then it could potentially be the CPU. I've seen more bad montherboards than I have seen bad CPUs in my personal experiences.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hey wrath yeah when i switched to my onboard graphics card i took out my regular one. Going to try to do what you instructed and see how that works. Thanks for the help guys. Creamin, so when i take the cpu out if it doesnt make any noise im good?

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! AOD Member AOD_Blankwindow's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    Hey wrath yeah when i switched to my onboard graphics card i took out my regular one. Going to try to do what you instructed and see how that works. Thanks for the help guys. Creamin, so when i take the cpu out if it doesnt make any noise im good?
    no you want it to scream bloody murder if there is no CPU installed and you turn it on.

Most motherboards it is short fast loud repetitive beeps. some are long beeps. you can check your manual from what beeps to expect. but it should be loud and very VERY obvious.

If it does scream it could mean it is a CPU issue, not doesn't say that for sure.

If it doesn't scream, then your CPU slot on the Mb is bad. however since you can make it to windows. I'm willing to bet it will scream.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! ghost_03's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

1.) Try another PSU
    2.) Clear BIOS
    3.) Remove EVERYTHING that is non essential--no gpu, no sound card, no wifi, 1 stick of ram+cpu only (and heatsink of course)
    4.) Try moving the 1 stick to different slots
    5.) Try a different stick of ram in all of the slots
    6.) Try a different CPU

If you have another, working system to swap parts between it makes it easier. If you can't get it to run with any other combination, then theres a problem with the board.

If there's a problem with the board, a very common cause is corrupt BIOS, which can be fixed with another computer and something called 'hot flashing' assuming the bios chip is not solder in.

Another common cause is voltage regulator. Particularly when overclocking, these things can literally burn up, with visible damage. Little black chips with slightly larger than average pins on them.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i took apart my computer the other night and really gave it a good clean, vacuumed all the dust out and basically broke the whole computer down to each individual part. When i put everything back together i ended up trying my computer to see if it would work for shits and giggles and it ended up booting right up. Havent had a problem with it since except for my clock being set to the year 2002 lol. Thanks for all the helps guys if i have any further issues, i know where i can get help :)