If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! RangerVudoo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Finishing my desktop.

So I'm pretty new when it comes to building computers from the ground up. The last real bit of things I need help on getting are a PSU, and a Motherboard (Just the right kind) So far I have a, GTX 760 GPU, Intel Core i5 4570, and a Thermaltake Chaser Mk1 case. (Getting Ram, OS, HDD, Reader probably tomorrow) but I need help getting the right motherboard and PSU that can 1. Run it. 2. Right connectors. Thanks for any help possible.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

For a motherboard, I recommend this if you are using a 5470 non K http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131980

If it is a 4570k then this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128594 in addition to the Kraken X40 liquid cooler for the CPU (so that you can push that CPU to as close to 5GHz as possible)

for the power supply, I recommend this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151095, good quality components, and it is best to not cheap out on a PSU as a good one will last you though many builds

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So the things I have left to order, besides those two things, are an ASUS DRW, WD Blue 1Tb 7200, Corsair Vengence 2x4 gb DDR3 1600 and Windows 7 OS, any think you'd do different (not trying to bust the bank haha) or is it a decent starting set up?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Those seem fine, and to make 100% sure, your CPU is not a K series right?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Can I have your Tots Carcinognic's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Go to pcpartpicker.com and build your computer there. It has filters based on your components as to what will fit and what wont.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Go to pcpartpicker.com and build your computer there. It has filters based on your components as to what will fit and what wont. Since you're not using an unlocked processor, you don't need a z87 chipset motherboard. It will work just fine if you get one, but if you were going to overclock, a z87 chipset is the only one that will let you and you would also need a k processor (i.e. 4770k). If you ever plan on SLI (2 graphics cards), a z87 will allow for that. The others won't. Do have a color them that you're going with? If you haven't already got your cpu, amazon has a 4670 for $205.

Motherboard:
    If you don't plan on overlocking or SLI, this would be solid on price and features. $86 at newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

If you plan on overlocking or SLI, this route: $105 at superbiiz
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

I have to go to work, but I will post more later.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Sorry posted that on my lunch break, I already have my CPU, and not really the fans on my case are LED but they have 4 color's so not much of a theme, thank you very much, one day I want to get an Overclocked CPU, and SLI my GPU (When I have money and all that)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Since your CPU is a non K series, then overclocking will not be practical on that system, as your only overclocking option is really pushing the bus speed which overclocks everything, only issue is that there are many components on the motherboard which do not like being overclocked, and often have no benefit from an overclock, so most people will struggle to even push a 5MHz overclock that way. Overall, for a non K series chip, you will have to focus the system on overclocking everything else.

a GTX 760 with an asic quality of around 85+ can usually be pushed from the reference speed of 980MHz, to 1306MHz with boost enabled, and a little higher if the boost function is disabled via VBIOS mod., and if you have a hawk or other specialized version of the 760 where the power controller can be modded in software, then you can often push the GPU to around 1.5GHz+

A decently overclocked 760 should handle any current game at 1080p maxed out

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thank you very much, I ended up going with the Seasonic PSU, and the MSI motherboard, as until I get everything squared away, I would just like to at least get my PC up and running, I really appreciate all the help guys.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

That all looks pretty solid. Unless you already have them paid for, I would still punch those parts in on PCPartPicker.com because they have a price comparison between about 10 different stores to give you the best price.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Nah I haven't yet, well the Case, GPU, CPU I have. And alright i'll do that and see what comes up. Thanks again you guys, much appreciated