Hybrid View

Knee High to a Worms Ass Murmur's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon14 So I had a good match the other day...

I'm just starting to get some Tier III planes but I'm quite a bit outmatched against other players on that level right now. So I figured I'd try out another nation. I heard about how great the Tier I Russian fighters are at dogfighting, so I gave it a whirl. I could hold my own fairly well but still ended up on the losing side more often than not. But suddenly, after a losing streak, this happened:

I know it's about 10% skill on my part and the rest being up against a team that was more inexperienced than myself, but it was still a lot of fun. So I decided to try out this 'nVidia Shadowplay' thing and capture the replay from the match, and made a little video of my highest scoring match to date.

Also, need some advice. Turns out I really like the more agile planes, which nation is better for that kind of thing? From what I've read it seems like it would be either Russia or Japan. Any suggestions?

Save the whales. Collect the whole set DaveSchilling's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Nice! :) Yeah, USSR is easy mode at that level, not to mean you did not do well. :) (Except going for that head on perhaps.. ;) )

The UK or Japan is probably what you should go for if you want a bunch of turn fighters. A bunch of the USSR ones aren´t bad there either but Spitfires, Hurricanes, Zeros and similar are the best turners. I prefer the UK mostly above all since the SPitfires can (or should) still be able to do well by climbing and boom and zooming opponents and have the turning ability as a reserve when it fucks up..
    Spitfire Mk. IX was better that Bf 109 Gs in most respect and closely matched with the Fw 190 As (and the griffon Spits Mk. XIV onwards were outclassing those Fucker Wulfs) Not sure that is true in the game however..

The Zeroes of course are the most nimble bar biplanes and the Ki-43 (?) though atleast I struggle to do well since I am not too good at avoiding the head ons coming from stupid Fw 190 and Bf 109 players mainly... But if you can and get good at it you can probably do very well.

I am sure others will chime in and correct me and also tell how good the USSR can turn etc. ;-)

Save the whales. Collect the whole set spanakis's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Nice!
    And please Dont go Japanese!! Its a pain .... with ussr you will have some serious cannons and you will be able to one shot bombers for turn fighters i think the British with the spitfire are pretty cool!
    For bombers i suggest you to go with usa ofc ... great bombers and pretty nice fighters.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

In 1.41 they add another three Spitfires, probably around the BR 5.0-ish bracket. If you find you like the Spits you will have a lot of fun in the Brit line! :)
    Spitfire Mk. XIVs, the second variant with the Griffon engine (Mk. XII being the first but it only had a single stage supercharger) did outclass Bf 109 G (no idea which variant) in almost all respects. Climbing was similar iirc.
    Fw 190s were even more outclassed...

Worth mentioning a second time, lol.

Remember that one time at Band Camp? Aviation21's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

IMO best turn-fighters are the Japanese Zeros! Unfortunately, most pilots know better than to turn fight a Zero and instead extend all the time as the Zero is slow in over all speed.

Next is the Spitfires because they are decent at turning and have decent speed. The Mk22 is a complete disaster and I expect it will get fixed next patch.

The Bear Cats are very nice at turning now when you get to level 4.

The Russian I-16s are fun, stubbie little planes that turn well! Chaika are always fun!

Also the P36G Hawk is quite nimble once you get the feel for it, lots of fun!

My 2 cents!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Good 2 cents! I forgot how good the Bearcats actually flies now! I turn fight a lot with it. Atleast against the Germans..

The Mk22 is a complete disaster and I expect it will get fixed next patch.
    So it is not me that is a bit underwhelmed at the moment? Tried, in Arcade mind you, to go up against Bf 109 F4s anf the G2 Trop... It is still like fighting them with Mk. Vs, with some added firepower perhaps..

For me the Japanese and the Zeroes in particular have a soft spot at those ones 3.7-4.3 BR. They still seem a bit over-rated, BR wise, perhaps, but you face a little less enemies just boom and zooming and they are decently matched in speed and especially climb. After that it goes down hill..