Status
    Active

Default New sig first one in a long time

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aod_Frostythehitman21CDT copy.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	547.5 KB 
ID:	12044

fooling around with old cs2 for a few hours trying to relearn the ropes. what do you guys think?

Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I suggest looking for examples and references online of what people are doing now. This looks like it was created 10+ years ago. I don't want to come off as egotistical or harsh, but your design methods are outdated. If you'd like further tips/tricks or links to guides, and tutorials to get you to where you need to be just let me know. There is a resource thread in this section of the forums that I have created to jump start aspiring designers such as yourself. Good luck.

I don't know the limitations you'd have with cs2, but if that's the case I suggest getting GIMP because even though GIMP isn't as powerful as the current builds of Photoshop it could be better than cs2.
    - Plan C -

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Frostythehitman21's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the honesty looks like I need to get back up with the times. I will be reading your tutorials and will improve on the design thanks for the advice

Send from the depths of hell

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! ghost_03's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Since you seem most able to accept constructive criticism here are some specific thoughts of mine:

Type:
    -In general italics, drop shadows, outlines, 3d effects, etc. tend to look on the cheezy side. With a few exceptions you usually won't find them in professional works.
    -You're using a serif font. Serif'd fonts increase readability and are appropriate for, e.g., a book or newspaper. They in general don't look as cool or modern as sans serif fonts, which are more appropriate for individual words or quick blurbs.
    -I think thats the word battlefield above cadet. I'm not sure because its too small to read easily. Its good that you have different size fonts as with this you can create a hierarchy of the importance of the information (e.g., your name is the most important as its a signature, so it should be and is the biggest and located where you look first).

Size:
    -It's maybe a little small. Tall signatures generally frustrate people as they have to scroll more, but theres no reason not to make it wider. You can get more of the image in to make it look cooler.

Content:
    -Seems spot on. Your name, a clever saying. Not sure if you need your rank in there but it doesn't hurt anything.
    -The badge that your rank is on is a nice idea, but it doesn't quite look like something you can touch and it doesn't quite look like something abstract either. I would suggest dropping the transparency in favor of a texture. The type can then be embossed into it, like its a piece of metal that has been machined out. This will take some work and will sort of violate what I said earlier about type, but I think this is a place where you get a free pass on font effects if they're realistic looking as its venturing into rendering territory.
    -I like the composition of the screenie. Captures the spirit of a big part of the game.

I don't mean to be a jerk and please don't feel bad. As you say you're dusting of CS2 and graphic design is just like any other skill in that regard. Moreover, I always try to keep in mind that creativity is a gradual process. This means that a work needs to iterate over time, and with more effort it will continue to get better. By opening yourself to feedback as you have already shown capable of doing you will only get better, and you're not in a terrible starting point as it is.
    Last edited by ghost_03; 06-28-2014 at 10:55 PM.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Frostythehitman21's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

thanks for the reply i have been doing some studying on more modern techniques and as soon as i get some more free time i will post a revised version