Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. #1
    Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY/Long Valley, NJ
    Age
    22
    Posts
    857

    Default Building my own computer, Would like advice

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7y64Bm
    Well that's what I have so far, I have plenty of spare optical drives, so no worries there, I just wanted to know if I should change anything, or if it looks like a solid build, It will be exclusively for gaming, I already have a work laptop and a personal laptop, I mostly play BF4, and probably Hardline once that comes out. I would also like to be able to record footage, and play games at 60 fps, on high or ultra (Haven't been able to do that since Half Life). I know I want a 780, maybe ti but the price isn't quite justified I feel, also I may want to purchase a second gpu later hence the sli support on the mother board.
    Any Advice is appropriated, Thanks in advance!

    PS: my current computer=Lenovo Y500

  2. #2
    Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY/Long Valley, NJ
    Age
    22
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Oh and should I add a sound card? I do have a pair of Gamecom 777 which have 7.1 surround sound, but they are usb powered so not too sure

    Also This would be my first self built computer so sorry if I say something stupid!

  3. #3
    Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    36
    Posts
    242

    Default Building my own computer, Would like advice

    Hi,
    If you let us know your budget than we can help build one. If you want a descent PC I just built one for a friend for 1000 with an I5 processor and nvidia 760. If you want to go crazy with an Nvidia 780 and intel i7 will probably be around 1500. Depends also if you plan on overclocking. Sound card is not needed because almost all motherbords have sound built in. There is no speed improvement with a dedicated sound card anymore. The only difference you will hear in sound is if you use analog connection. Soundcard can always be added later on too.

  4. #4
    Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY/Long Valley, NJ
    Age
    22
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Well I plan to spend around $1500, but going over/under's not an issue, also I have no plans to overclock, I don't like the risk, nor the void in warrentee.

  5. #5
    Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY/Long Valley, NJ
    Age
    22
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Also I don't really care about how it looks, as long as it performs like a dream, IE I don't give a damn about those LED's, I also understand that going fan cooled=shouldn't overclock which as previously stated I am cool with

  6. #6
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AOD Member AOD_Rute's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Tom Clancy
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    72

    Default

    That looks like a really good build to me. Very similar to my "future build" that I put together earlier in the week. I used an i7 instead of i5, but had the same mobo, same vid card, same power supply, and same RAM (but used 4x4gb instead of 2x4gb). I see no flaws with this. As for the sound card, skip it. Good build :)

  7. #7
    Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY/Long Valley, NJ
    Age
    22
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Rute View Post
    That looks like a really good build to me. Very similar to my "future build" that I put together earlier in the week. I used an i7 instead of i5, but had the same mobo, same vid card, same power supply, and same RAM (but used 4x4gb instead of 2x4gb). I see no flaws with this. As for the sound card, skip it. Good build :)
    Well I can always add more RAM latter :-D, where did you post your future build? and which i7 did you use?

  8. #8
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AOD Member AOD_Rute's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Tom Clancy
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    72

    Default

    I didn't post it, but here it is:

    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Rute675/saved/f4w7YJ

  9. #9
    Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY/Long Valley, NJ
    Age
    22
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Wow thats almost exactly the same, only diffrence is the SSD, case, and optical Drive...But I don't really care about looks, hence the rather plain case, and I have a TON of spare optical drives so I don't need one of those!

  10. #10
    Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY/Long Valley, NJ
    Age
    22
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Also What do you guys think About the monitor, I want at least 60hz, and a low response time is always preferable. Also I swear I didn't steal your design, unless you posted it on tomshardware, then I may have taken a component or two XD

  11. #11
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AOD Member AOD_Rute's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Tom Clancy
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Very good monitor as well. We're so much alike it seems. I bought the Asus VH238H about a year ago. Its been very good to me. Here they are side by side:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006519%2050001 315%2040000020&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResu lt=True&CompareItemList=20|24-236-117^24-236-117-TS%2C24-236-305^24-236-305-TS&percm=24-236-117%3A%24%24%24%2419%24%24%24%3B24-236-305%3A%24%24%24%2419%24%24%24

  12. #12
    Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY/Long Valley, NJ
    Age
    22
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Rute View Post
    Very good monitor as well. We're so much alike it seems. I bought the Asus VH238H about a year ago. Its been very good to me. Here they are side by side:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006519%2050001 315%2040000020&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResu lt=True&CompareItemList=20|24-236-117^24-236-117-TS%2C24-236-305^24-236-305-TS&percm=24-236-117%3A%24%24%24%2419%24%24%24%3B24-236-305%3A%24%24%24%2419%24%24%24
    Well one difference is I'm just getting around to updating my desktop from one that was first made back in 2005 :-P
    Although I do have a half decent laptop that I use

  13. #13
    Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    36
    Posts
    242

    Default Building my own computer, Would like advice

    so far your build is good. Just some suggestions. Your power supply seems a little overkill if not overclocking. Best powesupply would be seasonic, antec or corsair. something around 650w. A gtx 780 maybe a little high priced considering it is not that much faster than a 770. 8gb of ram is plenty most games cant even go much past 4.

  14. #14
    Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY/Long Valley, NJ
    Age
    22
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ModJPB View Post
    so far your build is good. Just some suggestions. Your power supply seems a little overkill if not overclocking. Best powesupply would be seasonic, antec or corsair. something around 650w. A gtx 780 maybe a little high priced considering it is not that much faster than a 770. 8gb of ram is plenty most games cant even go much past 4.
    Well I went with the added wattage in the psu because I may eventually get another 780 to run in SLI, as for the 770, I'll have to take a look at that

  15. #15
    Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY/Long Valley, NJ
    Age
    22
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Wow the diffrence between two 770's and a 780 is HUGE, and for roughly the same price...I may have to switch over!

  16. #16
    Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY/Long Valley, NJ
    Age
    22
    Posts
    857

    Default

    The only issue is would the 2GB version be enough? wouldn't I want to get the 4GB version, in which case its costing a tad too much for two of them

  17. #17
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Romanion's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    81

    Default

    The 770's 256-bit bus memory isn't enough to fully utilize 4GB of VRAM. 2GB is plenty for games unless you're running Skyrim with lots and lots of mods. Do check out www.reddit.com/r/buildapc for more opinions.

    Personally, I'd get a used R9 290/290x. The R9 290 has the same performance as the 780 and has Mantle so BF4 would be running much better on a AMD card.

  18. #18
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Romanion's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    81

    Default

    And oh, just one 770 or 780 would be more than enough for just one 1080p monitor gaming. And I agree with ModJPB that the PSU you have is WAYY overkill. You'll only need that PSU for SLI/Crossfire GPUs. A 500-550W should be more than enough.

    I just built my rig on monday and here's the partlist.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant


    CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $337.00) Combo w/ Mobo
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
    Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($0.00)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $150.00)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $140.00)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($108.00)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card (Purchased For $400.00) Sapphire brand actually but PCPP doesn't have the Sapphire reference model.
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($100.00)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (32/64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
    Monitor: Dell U2412M 60Hz 24.0" Monitor (Purchased For $230.00)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $109.00)
    Speakers: M-Audio Studiophile AV40 40W 2ch Speakers (Purchased For $130.00)
    Other: Philips 17B Monitor
    Total: $1704.00
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-13 10:25 EDT-0400

  19. #19
    Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY/Long Valley, NJ
    Age
    22
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Romanion View Post
    The 770's 256-bit bus memory isn't enough to fully utilize 4GB of VRAM. 2GB is plenty for games unless you're running Skyrim with lots and lots of mods. Do check out www.reddit.com/r/buildapc for more opinions.

    Personally, I'd get a used R9 290/290x. The R9 290 has the same performance as the 780 and has Mantle so BF4 would be running much better on a AMD card.
    OK, I just wanted to be sure because under recommended for BF4 it says 4gb of memory(graphics)

    And in reference to AMD cards and chipsets, I had one ages ago and had far too many bad experiences with it for me to want to go back to that.

  20. #20
    Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY/Long Valley, NJ
    Age
    22
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Romanion View Post
    And oh, just one 770 or 780 would be more than enough for just one 1080p monitor gaming. And I agree with ModJPB that the PSU you have is WAYY overkill. You'll only need that PSU for SLI/Crossfire GPUs. A 500-550W should be more than enough.

    I just built my rig on monday and here's the partlist.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $337.00) Combo w/ Mobo
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
    Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($0.00)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $150.00)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $140.00)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($108.00)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card (Purchased For $400.00) Sapphire brand actually but PCPP doesn't have the Sapphire reference model.
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($100.00)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (32/64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
    Monitor: Dell U2412M 60Hz 24.0" Monitor (Purchased For $230.00)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $109.00)
    Speakers: M-Audio Studiophile AV40 40W 2ch Speakers (Purchased For $130.00)
    Other: Philips 17B Monitor
    Total: $1704.00
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-13 10:25 EDT-0400
    That monitor has an 8ms response time! don't you notice the lag in that??
    Also, I have had bad experiences with AMD in the past, so I will not even consider them. I have a keyboard already, and I don't need speakers, I'll just use my headset.


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin By: ForumThemes.com
Top