Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

OK I made some edits, lowered the PSU, Changed proccesors, etc
    Still going with only 8GB of RAM, 16 is overkill right now, and I can always buy more later. I am still on the fence about two 770's vs 1 780 that I may upgrade later...(Hence the PSU being 750 rather than 700)
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.92 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB ACX Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($95.98 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1513.80
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-13 11:06 EDT-0400

Edit: I clicked the wrong G card, its actually the superclocked version
    Last edited by Siegmier; 06-13-2014 at 10:11 AM.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Romanion's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Siegmier View Post
    That monitor has an 8ms response time! don't you notice the lag in that??
    Also, I have had bad experiences with AMD in the past, so I will not even consider them. I have a keyboard already, and I don't need speakers, I'll just use my headset.
    I was on a laggy laptop playing on ultra-low with 20fps. Haven't really compared screens side by side to check out response times so I don't know. I just love this monitor because of the 16:10 aspect ratio and it was at a great price point.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

For the 4690 processor you'll need a Z97 mobo unless the Z87 mobo comes with an updated BIOS for haswell refresh support. Maybe you can check out this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyt...oard-gaz97xsli

You could also save $10(if you want) getting a 1600mhz ram instead of 2133mhz since you won't see much performance difference anyway. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial...8g3d1609ds1s00

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Romanion View Post
    For the 4690 processor you'll need a Z97 mobo unless the Z87 mobo comes with an updated BIOS for haswell refresh support. Maybe you can check out this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyt...oard-gaz97xsli

You could also save $10(if you want) getting a 1600mhz ram instead of 2133mhz since you won't see much performance difference anyway. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial...8g3d1609ds1s00
    oh wow didn't know that lol, it doesnt show up as a conflict in the part picker list though! glad you caught that!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

would there be any reason to use the 4670 over the 4690? I looked at that mobo, but im a little hesitent because it has no reviews on it, although I guess that makes sense consif=dering how new the 4690's are...

Also would it be worth the extra hundred for an i7?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

one issue, its only one stick of RAM, last time I checked you need two, or am I that out of date?

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Building my own computer, Would like advice

Yes, you still need 2 sticks of ddr3 ram. When ddr4 comes out next year you only need one. Many tests have shown for gaming that the difference between an i5 and i7 are small. Games run best with raw power MHz. An i7 is more for professional business, photo video creating and servers. Stick with a low response rate monitor and high refresh rate, 8ms is much to high. Also dont buy AMD soley on mantle support, or Nvidia soley on physx support, the list of games that do and will support each is few and unpredictable. As for your 780 vs 770 decision think about this - If you are not going to overclock or buy the fastest most expensive cpu, motherboard and ram then you will most likely not fully utilize the 780 since it will be bottlenecked by the slower parts. 2GB vram is good unless like previously stated you plan on running game mods like in skyrim.

hopefully that clears some things up.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You can run with just one stick. Running dual channel would be slightly better but nothing that you'll notice while gaming.

The 4690 is 100mhz faster than the 4670 and probably the same price. Not much difference though.

ModJPB, I suggested for mantle because he stated he wanted to play BF.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Alright thanks guys, this looks like the final build I will be going with, once more, no R9 290 BC I don't like AMD, and online reviews of it are rather poor (High temp, very loud, inconstant frames) Not really planning on overclocking hence non K version, 8GB RAM, SLI for upgrading in the future etc etc

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($123.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.00 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.92 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($499.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($102.98 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($254.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1538.83
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12