Every waking moment is agony Really Old Man's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Laptop suggestions

My Dell XPS has decided to break on me, so I'm in the market for a nice new laptop. My price range is 1500 and below. I've found a couple good ones (mainly from MSI), but I'd like to see if you guys have any suggestions for a good gaming laptop in this price range. An i7 would be preferable, RAM really doesn't matter, and the graphics card would preferably be a 700 series or above.

Also, here's an MSI laptop that I found and am looking for opinions on:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152405

Thanks a bunch :D

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Does it have to be a laptop? I love laptops as much as the next guy, but for $1500, you'd get SOOOO much more out of a desktop whereas $1500 for a laptop would only fetch you a decent laptop.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I Deadzone's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyOM View Post
    My Dell XPS has decided to break on me, so I'm in the market for a nice new laptop. My price range is 1500 and below. I've found a couple good ones (mainly from MSI), but I'd like to see if you guys have any suggestions for a good gaming laptop in this price range. An i7 would be preferable, RAM really doesn't matter, and the graphics card would preferably be a 700 series or above.

Also, here's an MSI laptop that I found and am looking for opinions on:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152405

Thanks a bunch :D
    macbook pro retina (personal use, NOT for intense gaming)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Rainbow Dash View Post
    Does it have to be a laptop? I love laptops as much as the next guy, but for $1500, you'd get SOOOO much more out of a desktop whereas $1500 for a laptop would only fetch you a decent laptop.
    I'd LOVE to get a desktop, but I'm heading off to college soon, so I'd rather have a laptop instead of a desktop. Easier to move around and such.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyOM View Post
    I'd LOVE to get a desktop, but I'm heading off to college soon, so I'd rather have a laptop instead of a desktop. Easier to move around and such.
    Also, my parents don't want me to have a desktop in college (at least during my first few years)

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If it needs to be a laptop, I would personally recommend getting an ASUS gaming laptop. Something like this should be pretty good for you: http://www.amazon.com/G750JM-DS71-17...productDetails and fits under the $1500 price range, with some cash to spare.

This one is pretty good too: http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Gamer...=gaming+laptop but is more expensive.

Either way, don't get sucked into something like Alienware. You spend more for the name. ASUS is expensive, but I haven't had a problem with them. Never tried the Toshiba Qosmio line, but my brother had one that crapped out on him after a few years. Was a decent laptop though.

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I personally use a Lenovo Y500 for gaming, it has an i7, and an nvidia 750m, 8GB of RAM. but I don't think they sell those anymore, so you might want to take a look at the Y510, either way I am seriously happy with it

Also I am an electrical engineering student and it can handle all of the programs they throw at us, so thats not a worry

EDIT: I should mention that the Y series is a multimedia series not gaming specific so if you want something solely for gaming this might not be the best option.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Siegmier View Post
    I personally use a Lenovo Y500 for gaming, it has an i7, and an nvidia 750m, 8GB of RAM. but I don't think they sell those anymore, so you might want to take a look at the Y510, either way I am seriously happy with it

Also I am an electrical engineering student and it can handle all of the programs they throw at us, so thats not a worry

EDIT: I should mention that the Y series is a multimedia series not gaming specific so if you want something solely for gaming this might not be the best option.
    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Rainbow Dash View Post
    If it needs to be a laptop, I would personally recommend getting an ASUS gaming laptop. Something like this should be pretty good for you: http://www.amazon.com/G750JM-DS71-17...productDetails and fits under the $1500 price range, with some cash to spare.

This one is pretty good too: http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Gamer...=gaming+laptop but is more expensive.

Either way, don't get sucked into something like Alienware. You spend more for the name. ASUS is expensive, but I haven't had a problem with them. Never tried the Toshiba Qosmio line, but my brother had one that crapped out on him after a few years. Was a decent laptop though.
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Romanion's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Perhaps you might consider getting a chromebook if you don't need to run intensive programs and just want to take notes and stuff. And getting a seperate gaming desktop.