Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Bobthefarmer's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Building a new computer using LGA 1366

So as the title suggests, I'm trying to build a new computer using the LGA1366 socket, my friend is selling his old computer for 150, so I'm snagging it for about that

It has an i7-920 @ stock w/ stock cooler
    foxconn flamingblade GTI mobo http://www.foxconnchannel.com/Produc...U=en-us0000458
    3x2gb trichannel ram @ 1600mhz
    750 watt 80+ bronze corsair power supply
    600 gb hdd @ 5200rpm
    (GPU not worth noting because I'm tossing it the second I buy it)
    Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811103026 with full fans

I'm going to add a ssd and a 280x to it, though idk if PCI 3.0 is compatible with PCI 2.0 w/o performance loss.

Everything in working order, but I guess I have a few questions as I've always bought complete desktops/laptops, Can I upgrade the ram to 2x4gb and not have any performance issues or would I need 3x4gb? Also would a better cooler help elongate the life of the i7 due to OC'ing?

I'm buying this for parts, mainly the power supply, hdd (minor but w/e) and the case and accessories. Once the mobo/cpu die I'm going to replace them with a FX-8320 w/ some tbd mobo.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ram is cheap get the 3x4gb to maintain the triple channel performance benefit. getting 2x4gb would be a downgrade.

A better cooler will help you OC higher and with a bigger heatsink and fan, possibly quieter depending on how you want to run it. As long as the cpu doesnt overheat it will last way longer than needed.

pcie3.0 is backwards compatible to 2.0. The performance difference if you ran that card on a pcie2.0 vs 3.0 is unnoticeable. Most benchmarks showed little to no change.

Goodluck!

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Dont bother with the fx8320 or any Amd processor until they come out with a complete redesign. AMD has pretty much dug their own grave since releasing bulldozer. You have an i7, it will run circles around amd in gaming especially when oc.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue sinthetic's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Bobthefarmer View Post
    Question 1: I'm going to add a ssd and a 280x to it, though idk if PCI 3.0 is compatible with PCI 2.0 w/o performance loss.

Question 2: Can I upgrade the ram to 2x4gb and not have any performance issues or would I need 3x4gb?

Question 3: would a better cooler help elongate the life of the i7 due to OC'ing?

Answer to question 1: Yes 3.0 is compatible with PCIE 2.0 lanes. I am going to be honest here, you are not going to see performance loss for using a 3.0 card in a 2.0 PCIE slot. The only difference between 3.0 and 2.0 is 3.0 can support more data bandwidth between multiple PCIE lanes. This is great when running multiple graphics cards, but its useless when you are running only one card. So don't worry about it.

Answer to question 2: NO, that motherboard supports Triple Channel memory, 3x4gb or 3x2gb memory kits are highly recommended to get the most out of your memory. You need to have at least 3 memory slots populated to get the benefits of triple channel memory. I suggest buying a triple channel kit with a frequency no more than 1800, because with the motherboard being as old as it is idk if it can run memory at any higher speeds.

Answer to question 3: It's hard to tell... Yes lower temperature do help extend the life of a CPU AT STOCK SPEEDS. You cant overclock a CPU and expect it to last as long as if it were at stock speeds. But if you do plan to overclock then yes a larger 3rd party heat sink is defiantly a must when overclocking. Better the cooling on a OC CPU the longer the CPU will last at the OC speeds, but how long its hard to tell, just don't expect it to last as long as it would at stock speeds. Also I would just make sure you know what you're doing before you start overclocking the CPU one wrong move could fry the CPU. I had a friend who I told time and time again to research it or let me overclock it for him, but no he didn't listen ended up pushing too many volts and fried a brand new $300 CPU.

But to simplify the answer to the question yes better cooling elongates the life of a CPU.

Hope this helped answer some of your questions. XD