Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Kc2000's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Im definitely going to get another SSD, 120GB filled up way too quickly. It may be a Hybrid Drive so I can still have some better performance but without the epic cost of SSDs.
    After my barebones game/app list + Windows, I have 5.9GB left.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you are owing a pretty decent computer with good parts and such and you don't own a SSD at that moment, then you should be ashamed! SSD is the now and the future for a computer ^^, I don't regret my first bhought and either the other 3 ^^,

I own myself 4 SSD :D
    2 - 120GB SSD
    1 - 256GB SSD
    1 - 500GB SSD

If you don't have a SSD as you read this, you should buy one!

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Harbinger1's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

SSD's are the way to go. Typically they cost around a $1 per gigabyte, so if you find a deal on Newegg for less definitely consider buying one.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Romanion's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Harbinger View Post
    SSD's are the way to go. Typically they cost around a $1 per gigabyte, so if you find a deal on Newegg for less definitely consider buying one.
    They are more like $0.50/GB.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Harbinger1's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Romanion View Post
    They are more like $0.50/GB.
    Maybe $0.75/GB but it depends on the brand. I got mine over a year ago so they're probably cheaper

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Avoid filling an SSD too much. MLC SSD's lose write performance once half oof the cells written to. Since they store 2 bits per cell, the wear leveling will essentially fill each cell with 1 bit of data, and then start adding a second bit to each cell. To add a second bit, the drive must first read a cell, stora that data in memory, then erase the cell, and then write a new voltage to the cell that represents 2 bits. This pricess takes additional IO's and that is why when an MLC SSD starts working with 2 bits per cell, the IOPS drop significantly.

If you get another, before saving anything to it, run something like as-ssd http://www.techspot.com/downloads/60...benchmark.html
    then benchmark the drive while empty, then again when when around 60% full (performance drops at around 60-70% since many SSD's over provision the space in order for there to be enough spare cells where failed ones can be disabled without the drive losing capacity for user files)

then at around 80% full (where you start to run into TRIM related slowdowns since it does not trim 100% of all free space, but instead it does a portion of the remaining space.
    For higher end SSD's such as the 840 pro and others where the bottleneck is the SATA bus, actual linear write speeds may only drop slightly at the 60-70% mark, but IO intensive transfers, will show a large drop.

For example, my sandisk SSD went from around 45,000 IOPS, to a little under 14,000 IOPS once the drive was filled about 75% (took a little more since the SSD has built in compression)

Ideally for the OS drive that will also have your applications, you want to have at least 50% free space with an MLC drive, and for a bulk data/ working drive e.g., (storing a video editing project on it, then 80-90% is fine)
    Last edited by Mokona512; 07-22-2014 at 05:57 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I just bought the NewEgg deal on the 840 EVO 250GB. Should be here in 3 business days, woot woot.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well, I got the 840 evo today and just a little story so noone else does this.

Ok, So what pretty much happened was when I installed windows on my first ssd, it decided to stick the mbr on my old data drive. So I tried using a program to copy it over and it worked. Then, since I can only connect 2 hdds at once, I unplugged the old hdd and plugged the evo in. Worked out okay so far.. and then I migrated my 1st ssd to the evo... still good. Copy mbr to evo then. Reboot to move old data from old disk to evo... annnnd everything is corrupted. The partiton table, windows, even startup repair cant fix it.

Moral of story, dont install windows with 2 hdds installed

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Fishwithadeagle's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What I would say is better than an ssd is to set up a raid 0 using your favorite fast hard drive, then buy a cheap smaller ssd to add as a cache to drive so that you have really fast raw and burst access to 2tb of space. After that, go ahead and buy an ssd.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The issue with caching is that it does not help with write speeds, and only caches the reads of commonly used applications. If you have more commonly accessed data than what the SSD supports, then you end up with frequent dumping and filling of the cache which will kill most smaller SSD's. (for example, it is becoming a more common issue on the SSHD's for people who run many large programs. At bootup, the drive caches a few windows files, then as soon as they launch a game, it dumps the cache and caches the game, then when they close the game it dumps the cache again, and begins caching system files.

A friend of mine got one for his gaming laptop, luckily it was under warranty, but constant gaming and photography work, killed that drive in under 2 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12