Status
    Active

Default Upgrade Time!

Currently have:
    FX 6300
    R9 270x
    8gig RAM 1600 mhz
    some crappy msi motherboard that was cheap
    850 watt HX corsair PSU (bought it cuz I knew I was going to upgrade later down the road.)
    320 gig 7200 rpm WD

What I want:
    These go in order for what I will get first, I'll get the mobo and CPU and then later get another GPU and an SSD
    1. New CPU & Mobo. for cpu I was liking the look of the I7 4790k, but I would like something $100 less without too many compromises. Will not overclock. Mobo - need help, somewhere around $150 would be nice
    2. Crossfire with 2 r9 270x, will buy another one. 240 gig SSD - like samsung like intel like corsair SO many options...

Suggestions, thoughts, FEEDBACK PLEASE and thanks.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! ghost_03's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

For SSD: Do you use your PC just for gaming or also for work? If for both, I recommend an Intel SSD as they are the most bulletproof. The other main brands are reliable these days too but IMO its worth the extra cash for peace of mind.

For CPU: If you're not overclocking you don't need the 'k' designation. It's just an unlocked multiplier. Something 100 cheaper with minimal performance difference would be the i5-4690. You lose 0.5 GHz, hyperthreading, and the ability to overclock, but it's well more than 2/3 the CPU for 2/3 the price. In practice you probably wouldn't really notice the difference.

For GPU: Xfire and SLI rock. Go for it. Just try and find exactly the same card. While SLI I know supports different cards, and I can only assume xfire does too, I've had issues with even the same cards with different bios versions. Not in gameplay but in things like, waking from sleep.

For a mobo: I'm still on an Ivy Bridge so I can't comment specifically on this motherboard, but it fits your price range, has tons of features, good reviews, and I've generally had good luck with MSI.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130693

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Romanion's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you will not overclock why not save some cash and get the 4790 instead? Though it has a lower base clock but its still good enough.
    Do consider selling your 270x and getting a second hand 290(x) for cheap from ex-miners. Not really a fan of crossfire/sli.
    SSD, MX100 or the 840 EVO.

Check out http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/ for sales.

And oh, the Samsung 840 EVO 250GB is going for $120 on NewEgg with a code.

I didn't take Steroids...Honest WHOAPONY's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ghost: Thanks for the CPU & mobo, they both look good.
    Romanion: Hadn't thought of that. I would love to do that except I can't sell my 270x, real-life complications...

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The current modern highest rated MLC SSD is the samsung 850 pro, with an endurance of close 5 petabytes, while current 20 - 19nm MLC designs in other SSD's (even those by intel) have failed at around 700TB - 1 petabyte. For gaming, you will not notice much difference between a value SSD and a top of the line one as games are largely optimized for linear reads

crossfire can work, but when you go with crossfire, you do get frame pacing issues and micro stuttering, and thus you will find your self using beta drivers all the time when new games come out.

For fewer issues, you can sell the 270X and then use that money to get a 290x, but if you do not mind that, then 2 270x cards can offer very good performance.

For gaming, avoid the core i7 CPU's, they offer a significantly worst value than the core i5 as they cost a lot more while only offering only time improvements that will be unnoticeable outside of benchmarking applications. Furthermore, if needed, you can overclock which will give you a free performance boost.

Knee High to a Worms Ass StrixTeam's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

It may be a little off topic,but here is a website where you can build your pc and buy the parts and it has everything. http://pcpartpicker.com/
    Even if you don't buy,I think it's still fun to see what I can build. :)

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Upgrade Time!

For gaming there isnt much of a performance advantage between an i7 and i5. Sure an i7 is superior on most general benchmarks and software but it when it comes to purely gaming it seems like the price difference is better spent elsewhere. Most of you probably will disagree but check reviews and look only at the gaming performance. Id say get the highest clocked i5 instead of an i7.

Knee High to a Worms Ass DarkWngDuck's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Crossfire is much more forgiving when it comes to using different cards.....you can crossfire any card that has the same architecture....you can even crossfire the 270x with something like a R7870 as long as the GPU is from the same family such as Pitcairn or Tahiti. Check this review.

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-rade...testing_126124

The new R series GPU's are mostly rebranded HD7000 series with the exception of the R9 290x which takes on a new Hawaii architecture.
    Keep in mind though its always better to have a matched set even though its not completely necessary with AMD cards.

For processors im still running an I5 3450 from the Ivy Bridge intel lineup....I still never see much over %60-%70 usage in games maxed. Running 7970 in crossfire. Your not going to gain alot of FPS in games by spending $100 more on your CPU.....I would spend the saved $100 on a board that has a few more features or a larger SSD drive.