Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon5 Shit Internet help?

So firstly I have Comcast Cable, its 50Mb/s Down and 11Mb/s Up, whenever I do a speed test I get those results, HOWEVER when playing online games my Ping will spike up above the maximum limits which will usually kick me from the server. This usually happens around 7:00PM and it happens at random points. It will also happen every now and then throughout the day. It is NOT my computer, because I get it on both my computer and laptop and also when I am Hardwired to either the motem or router. although I primarily play using wifi. we have ~6 computers in the house, but it is VERY rare that more than two are being used at a time. When I run speedtests, particularly Xfinitys it always shows that the internet is fine, no outrageous ping, DL, UL, or Jitter. However it also seems that the test appears to be rigged because it seems to sit and wait until the speed jumps back up to standard. I also understand how cable works, that we share a line with our neighbors. this is what I suspect is wrong however any other suggestions would also be helpful!

EDIT: I should also note that when I am away at college I have absolutely no issues as far as internet is concerned, so this is on comcast's side of the fence. I will try and upload images of the speed tests when I get home. As I said it never shows it being unusual so I don't know how much help that would be.

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! AOD Member AOD_Blankwindow's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Comcast has one of the worst service records both in reliability and customer service in the industry.

It sounds like it is happening when the node your on gets over loaded. 6-10 pm is "prime time" when everyone is gaming\netflix\hulu\ect

Did you hit him? Did you hit him again? Samiam_Jr's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I use comcast and I love it.

Are you connecting wireless or are you wired?

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

When this happens, do a trace route to the IP address of the server and see where you get the huge ping increase.

open cmd window
    type in without the "", "tracert serverIP"

for example
    tracert 212.227.94.130

This can help you to spot if a specific part of your ISP's network in congested. for comcast, it is very common for them to have congestion issues.

if you are using wireless, then make sure that you have opted out of the comcast public hotspot. (comcast recently turned their compatible routers into public hotspots via a automatic update. you have to opt out

here is a guide on how to do it. http://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-d...ews-19036.html

if not when someone connects, they will lag your network.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Blankwindow View Post
    Comcast has one of the worst service records both in reliability and customer service in the industry.

It sounds like it is happening when the node your on gets over loaded. 6-10 pm is "prime time" when everyone is gaming\netflix\hulu\ect
    Yeah thats what I thought, but I wanted to check see if you all thought diffrently.

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Samiam_Jr View Post
    I use comcast and I love it.

Are you connecting wireless or are you wired?
    Wirelessly, however I have tried wired and get the same results. and as I said it is not my network card, I have the issue across computers, and even on my phone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Mokona512 View Post
    When this happens, do a trace route to the IP address of the server and see where you get the huge ping increase.

open cmd window
    type in without the "", "tracert serverIP"

for example
    tracert 212.227.94.130

This can help you to spot if a specific part of your ISP's network in congested. for comcast, it is very common for them to have congestion issues.

if you are using wireless, then make sure that you have opted out of the comcast public hotspot. (comcast recently turned their compatible routers into public hotspots via a automatic update. you have to opt out

here is a guide on how to do it. http://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-d...ews-19036.html

if not when someone connects, they will lag your network.
    um im in the country, theres hardly anyone around save my neighbors, and we have our wifi locked with a 64 digit pin...I don't think anyones getting on our network, but I will have to try that trace route thing when I get home and it happens.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

For comcast, they are creating a public network system where in addition to your own private password protected SSID, it creates a guest network where strangers can connect to your router and then log in with their comcast username and password in order to surf the web. while that guest network is on a separate subnet, it will eat into your overall throughput and latency. if you are using the comcast router, then be sure to disable that service in order to ensure that your neighbors are not using their home network + your wifi to supplement their traffic use. (if you need the comcast hotspot then be sure to if needed, physically disable the wifi radio on the router if you have a secondary/ better router)
    (PS are your neighbors very close to you e.g., within 200-300 feet? )

While that is less common to happen, it is best to disable it just in case.

What is most likely happening is that somewhere down the line, comcast is having network congestion as they refuse to upgrade their infrastructure.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Kc2000's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

For comcast, they are creating a public network system where in addition to your own private password protected SSID, it creates a guest network where strangers can connect to your router and then log in with their comcast username and password in order to surf the web. while that guest network is on a separate subnet, it will eat into your overall throughput and latency. if you are using the comcast router, then be sure to disable that service in order to ensure that your neighbors are not using their home network + your wifi to supplement their traffic use. (if you need the comcast hotspot then be sure to if needed, physically disable the wifi radio on the router if you have a secondary/ better router)
    Optimum Online(Cablevision) does this as well. It's annoying but you can't get a signal from 10ft away from the shitty router they gave us anyways.

Knee High to a Worms Ass Mr_Koffee_Bean's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have bad Internet as well. I just play at night. Also it may be your Ethernet cable not allowing enough bandwidth to come to your computer.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

For gaming, even a bare minimum 4 wire ethernet cable (tops out at 100mbit/s ) will be more than enough for any online game. I have yet to see any latency sensitive multiplayer game use more than 2mbit/s (with most FPS games using far less than 1mbit/s). Just about all time based latency issues are due to the ISP not upgrading the infrastructure to handle all of their customers. When there is an issue that is on their end, you must do your best to call every few days to complain about the issue and demand that they fix it. Keep them on the phone as long as possible and see how high you can escalate the call. They will often then discount the bill for a few months for your troubles and people who can actually do something about the issue (and upgrade the infrastructure, will take notice (especially if a number of customers in the area are complaining and getting discounts).

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

While that is less common to happen, it is best to disable it just in case.

What is most likely happening is that somewhere down the line, comcast is having network congestion as they refuse to upgrade their infrastructure.
    na my neighbors are more like 500-600 feet away

And yeah thats what I though about comcast, their techs always say its all fine, of course whenever they show up its not acting up

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Mr_Koffee_Bean View Post
    I have bad Internet as well. I just play at night. Also it may be your Ethernet cable not allowing enough bandwidth to come to your computer.
    well I work a day job, I have to get up at 5:45 every day and don't get home until 7PM, so I kinda can't play that late at night.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I SgtLukeSkykiller's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Siegmier View Post
    So firstly I have Comcast Cable, its 50Mb/s Down and 11Mb/s Up, whenever I do a speed test I get those results, HOWEVER when playing online games my Ping will spike up above the maximum limits which will usually kick me from the server. This usually happens around 7:00PM and it happens at random points. It will also happen every now and then throughout the day. It is NOT my computer, because I get it on both my computer and laptop and also when I am Hardwired to either the motem or router. although I primarily play using wifi. we have ~6 computers in the house, but it is VERY rare that more than two are being used at a time. When I run speedtests, particularly Xfinitys it always shows that the internet is fine, no outrageous ping, DL, UL, or Jitter. However it also seems that the test appears to be rigged because it seems to sit and wait until the speed jumps back up to standard. I also understand how cable works, that we share a line with our neighbors. this is what I suspect is wrong however any other suggestions would also be helpful!

EDIT: I should also note that when I am away at college I have absolutely no issues as far as internet is concerned, so this is on comcast's side of the fence. I will try and upload images of the speed tests when I get home. As I said it never shows it being unusual so I don't know how much help that would be.
    Sounds also like it could be an issue with the crappy Comcast equipment-for the record I have had Comcast for quite a while now and have had ZERO issues with them. I would STRONGLY recommend purchasing your own modem and router (2 SEPARATE devices) to alleviate the issue. Not only will this save you the rental fee that Comcast charges monthly (anywhere from $7.50-$25.00 USD depending on service and devices rented) it also gets rid of the ability for Comcast to jack up your router for their uses.

Modems-the Motorola Surfboard SB6141 (you can find on ebay for about $65-$85+shipping) is a very good DOCSIS 3.0 modem (capable of faster speeds + higher speed boost+ better all-around throughput).

Router-I personally use (and recommend) Cisco Home (formerly Linksys) products my router is currently a Cisco EA4500 (wireless N with USB input at router) look into getting a good (preferably dual band) Wireless N or Wireless AC router.

Also as far as speedtesting goes do NOT use the Comcast (or any other ISP) provided test as it is specifically set to use their own servers and will produce false results. Instead use www.speedtest.net-also for modem and router research as well as general internet complaints browse over to http://www.dslreports.com/
    not only can they help with specific product recommendations and the like their forums are also actively monitored by tech agents from the major ISPs who can (and will) take proactive actions to help their customers (such as line maintenance) without you having to scream at them.

For DIRECT COMCAST support go to:
    https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect

For RECOMMENDED SPEEDTEST links go to:
    https://secure.dslreports.com/faq/13860

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_SgtLukeSkykiller View Post
    Sounds also like it could be an issue with the crappy Comcast equipment-for the record I have had Comcast for quite a while now and have had ZERO issues with them. I would STRONGLY recommend purchasing your own modem and router (2 SEPARATE devices) to alleviate the issue. Not only will this save you the rental fee that Comcast charges monthly (anywhere from $7.50-$25.00 USD depending on service and devices rented) it also gets rid of the ability for Comcast to jack up your router for their uses.

Modems-the Motorola Surfboard SB6141 (you can find on ebay for about $65-$85+shipping) is a very good DOCSIS 3.0 modem (capable of faster speeds + higher speed boost+ better all-around throughput).

Router-I personally use (and recommend) Cisco Home (formerly Linksys) products my router is currently a Cisco EA4500 (wireless N with USB input at router) look into getting a good (preferably dual band) Wireless N or Wireless AC router.

Also as far as speedtesting goes do NOT use the Comcast (or any other ISP) provided test as it is specifically set to use their own servers and will produce false results. Instead use www.speedtest.net-also for modem and router research as well as general internet complaints browse over to http://www.dslreports.com/
    not only can they help with specific product recommendations and the like their forums are also actively monitored by tech agents from the major ISPs who can (and will) take proactive actions to help their customers (such as line maintenance) without you having to scream at them.

For DIRECT COMCAST support go to:
    https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect

For RECOMMENDED SPEEDTEST links go to:
    https://secure.dslreports.com/faq/13860

D-Link DIR 815 Router, and a Arris TM722 Motem, now that means the router is capable of wireless IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n, so that's fine,
    ill definitely try different speed tests, issue is having it run at the exact moment my internet goes all funky

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Abnormal Speed test, internet fluctuating throughout test, test seems to "Pause" when it goes down: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3649892660 http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3649898077

Normal Speed Test: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3649905724
    Last edited by Siegmier; 07-26-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I SgtLukeSkykiller's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So you've definitely got a congestion issue somewhere in the pipe-browse on over to the dslreports forum that I linked-register if you have to and see if you can't get it resolved via that comcast monitored forum. They'll also be able to walk you through tracerouting to specific IPs so that you can pin down the problem

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! AOD Member AOD_Blankwindow's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Start -> Run -> CMD -> Pathping google.com

Run 5 or more of the above command simultaniously until you get one that catches the issue happening.

and

Start -> Run -> CMD -> ping google.com -t

When you see the continual ping start to die or the response time jump high, run several more pathping tests to try and catch it then. as well as your 5+ random runs.

FYI pathping is tracert + ping in one command. It will tracert the path then pings each node along the path. It will give results like these. Note I edited out the first three steps as I've given examples such as these before and gotten DDOSed for my good deeds punishment.

pathping google.com

Tracing route to google.com [74.125.227.99]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:
    3 tge7-2.bumutx2701h.texas.rr.com [66.25.224.73]
    4 tge0-9-0-1.ptnhtxak01r.texas.rr.com [24.175.61.222]
    5 agg28.dllatxl301r.texas.rr.com [24.175.61.64]
    6 ae-8-0.cr0.dfw10.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.52]
    7 ae2.pr1.dfw10.tbone.rr.com [107.14.17.236]
    8 74.125.48.65
    9 * * *

Computing statistics for 200 seconds...

Source to Here This Node/Link
    Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
    1 1ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0%
    2 17ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0%
    3 14ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% tge7-2.bumutx2701h.texas.rr.com [66.25.224.73]
    4 17ms 1/ 100 = 1% 1/ 100 = 1% tge0-9-0-1.ptnhtxak01r.texas.rr.com [24.175.61.222]
    5 28ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% agg28.dllatxl301r.texas.rr.com [24.175.61.64]
    6 29ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% ae-8-0.cr0.dfw10.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.52]
    7 30ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% ae2.pr1.dfw10.tbone.rr.com [107.14.17.236]
    8 27ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 74.125.48.65

Trace complete.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ill try that when I get home and post the results, and I guess I ought to delete the first three ip's so I don't get DDosed as well?

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Siegmier View Post
    Ill try that when I get home and post the results, and I guess I ought to delete the first three ip's so I don't get DDosed as well?
    That wasn't on an AOD help issue when it happened to me. So it just depends how paranoid you are.

Personally I'm a fool me one kinda person. Better not to make same error twice.

and it depends on you results. in my case step 1 was my comp, 2 was router, 3 was isp modem with my current ip.

Depending on your network it may only be 2 steps or could be as many as 5 before you have truly left the building so to speak.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

C:\Users\Nick>pathping google.com

Tracing route to GOOGLE.COM [173.194.43.46]
    0 Nicks-Gaming [192.168.0.102]
    1 c-68-37-8-1.hsd1.nj.comcast.net [68.37.8.1]
    2 te-9-4-ur02.portmurray.nj.panjde.comcast.net [68.85.118.29]
    3 xe-7-1-5-0-ar03.eastwindsor.nj.panjde.comcast.net [68.86.152.69]
    4 ae-2-0-ar03.plainfield.nj.panjde.comcast.net [68.85.62.193]
    5 he-3-8-0-0-cr01.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.95.177]
    6 he-0-13-0-1-pe03.111eighthave.ny.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.85.190]
    7 as15169-2-c.111eighthave.ny.ibone.comcast.net [23.30.206.126]
    8 209.85.248.178
    9 72.14.236.208
    10 209.85.249.213
    11 72.14.237.254
    12 lga15s35-in-f14.1e100.net [173.194.43.46]

Computing statistics for 300 seconds...
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    1 20ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% c-68-37-8-1.hsd1.nj.comcast.net [6
    8.37.8.1]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    2 19ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% te-9-4-ur02.portmurray.nj.panjde.c
    omcast.net [68.85.118.29]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    3 27ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% xe-7-1-5-0-ar03.eastwindsor.nj.pan
    jde.comcast.net [68.86.152.69]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    4 24ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% ae-2-0-ar03.plainfield.nj.panjde.c
    omcast.net [68.85.62.193]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    5 24ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% he-3-8-0-0-cr01.newyork.ny.ibone.c
    omcast.net [68.86.95.177]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    6 24ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% he-0-13-0-1-pe03.111eighthave.ny.i
    bone.comcast.net [68.86.85.190]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    7 29ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% as15169-2-c.111eighthave.ny.ibone.
    comcast.net [23.30.206.126]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    8 28ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 209.85.248.178
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    9 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% 72.14.236.208
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    10 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% 209.85.249.213
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    11 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% 72.14.237.254
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    12 24ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% lga15s35-in-f14.1e100.net [173.194
    .43.46]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Nick>

I noticed 9 10 and 11 all were 100 % packet loss

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

second one same/similar result

Tracing route to google.com [173.194.121.38]
    1 c-68-37-8-1.hsd1.nj.comcast.net [68.37.8.1]
    2 te-9-4-ur02.portmurray.nj.panjde.comcast.net [68.85.118.29]
    3 xe-7-1-4-0-ar03.eastwindsor.nj.panjde.comcast.net [68.86.152.57]
    4 ae-3-0-ar03.plainfield.nj.panjde.comcast.net [68.85.63.161]
    5 he-3-10-0-0-cr01.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.93.225]
    6 he-0-11-0-1-pe03.111eighthave.ny.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.83.102]
    7 as15169-2-c.111eighthave.ny.ibone.comcast.net [23.30.206.126]
    8 209.85.248.180
    9 209.85.252.250
    10 72.14.239.93
    11 72.14.236.147
    12 72.14.233.97
    13 iad23s26-in-f6.1e100.net [173.194.121.38]

Computing statistics for 325 seconds...
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    1 42ms 1/ 100 = 1% 1/ 100 = 1% c-68-37-8-1.hsd1.nj.comcast.net [6
    8.37.8.1]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    2 67ms 1/ 100 = 1% 1/ 100 = 1% te-9-4-ur02.portmurray.nj.panjde.c
    omcast.net [68.85.118.29]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    3 86ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% xe-7-1-4-0-ar03.eastwindsor.nj.pan
    jde.comcast.net [68.86.152.57]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    4 103ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% ae-3-0-ar03.plainfield.nj.panjde.c
    omcast.net [68.85.63.161]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    5 111ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% he-3-10-0-0-cr01.newyork.ny.ibone.
    comcast.net [68.86.93.225]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    6 127ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% he-0-11-0-1-pe03.111eighthave.ny.i
    bone.comcast.net [68.86.83.102]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    7 83ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% as15169-2-c.111eighthave.ny.ibone.
    comcast.net [23.30.206.126]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    8 96ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 209.85.248.180
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    9 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% 209.85.252.250
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    10 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% 72.14.239.93
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    11 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% 72.14.236.147
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    12 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% 72.14.233.97
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    13 80ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% iad23s26-in-f6.1e100.net [173.194.
    121.38]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Nick>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast