Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Serious hardware problem

Running on my high-power GPU makes my laptop turn off (not shut down, not BSOD, no thermal shutdown, just ploop, off).
    I can't run any proper games on the intel chip obviously, so unless it's not a hardware failure and I figure something out ( chances of that are almost 0 by now) then there might be no way but to send it off to HP. That would be really bad, as I really need this laptop for not only gaming, but also school very soon for my retake exams.

So, to solve the problem, I have formatted hard drive and reinstalled windows (166 windows updates still need to be applied at time of writing) and all drivers.
    Interesting to note is that I can't get image on the laptop screen whilst running on the AMD chip, but can get image on external screen. Didn't have that problem before I reinstalled. Normally I could fix it by switching back and back again between graphics processors, but now it's staying. Graphics drivers have always been a big problem but the problem existed before I reinstalled, so yeah.

It cannot be a software issue as a clean windows still had the issue. It even crashed in the friging POST screens...
    I've ruled out RAM, HDD and battery faults by doing respective checks.
    It's also not an overheating issue, the heat is fine, i never saw it go above 70, it used to get to 90-95 then shut down to prevent damage. (that's a long time ago though, since then HP has replaced the entire cooling system).

I'm thinking it has to be the dedicated AMD gpu, as I've been running on the intel chip for a long while now with no crash. Not sure what / if anything I can do about it, though. Can try older drivers again, I suppose, but I've had the current drivers for well over a month before the problem first appeared, two days ago. Also, I haven't moved it around in weeks, I have taken it to school every day for the past three years. (it's close to 3 years old, one month warranty left...)

Any input is seriously appreciated.

Note: I have a HP Envy 17 -2130eb notebook with an AMD 6850M gpu, intel i7-2630QM cpu and 8gb RAM.
    Last edited by Jeno; 07-24-2014 at 04:49 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Sounds like your GPU is starting to kick the bucket i would send it out for service before your warranty ends.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I SgtLukeSkykiller's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon9

It's also not an overheating issue, the heat is fine, i never saw it go above 70, it used to get to 90-95 then shut down to prevent damage. (that's a long time ago though, since then HP has replaced the entire cooling system).
    If they didn't replace the CPU & GPU then replacing the cooling system (which on a laptop is really only just a fan or 2 and a heatsink) doesn't do jack squat to fix the permanent damage that the temps rising high enough for thermal shutdown inflict on your sensitive components. I'd strongly recommend looking at ASUS, Sony (their VAIO line is awesome) or a custom gaming laptop from www.ibuypower.com, TigerDirect, or NewEgg for a replacement laptop ASAP.

Also stop pushing your computer to the edge of thermal limits-as you have unfortunately found out even if the machine appears to work fine it can sustain long-term damage that may not show up for a long while after the event.

TLDR: Your system needs to either be replaced entirely or be sent to HP for a CPU/GPU replacement.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm just a poor student, I really don't have any funds to spend on a brand new machine. This thing needs to stay alive or I need to fall back on my old desktop and I really don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to.
    I'm going to get in contact with HP and see what they say.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Okay, update: did every checkup imaginable, came back to what I originally thought it was: a heat problem; aand, it was. dk why he didn't show hot temps two days ago, but he went up to 97° now, so that's definitely the prob. I blowed the dust out with a hairdryer on cold air, but it didn't help. BIOS is latest and fans run normally, but without the extra cooling pad and a big desktop fan blowing on it, it will shut down in minutes when running a game. I didn't have that problem untill recently. But even with all that extra cooling he'd still shut down when he does something remotely challenging (like WoT hangar)
    So yea, I had no choice but to use my 1 month remaining warranty and call HP, it's going away in a few days, but I'll resort to my older desktop... Will do his job, always has :)

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue TankEffect's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The cpu had those temperatures??? maybe u need to re-apply thermal paste to your cpu

Every waking moment is agony Really Old Man's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Laptop's are so frustrating. I pretty much had the same problems with my dell XPS 15. To me, it sounds like it may need some new thermal paste or maybe a new heat sink.