I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_DoomBringer's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Default Upgrading RAM on my gaming laptop need some help selecting it

I currently have 8 GB of RAM on my laptop and am hoping to upgrade to at least 16 GB and have a total of 2 open RAM slots. I was hoping to get advice as to whether adding more than 16 GB is suggested. Also wanted to know what brand and clock speed on the RAM cards I should purchase. I currently have 1600 MHz clock speed on the factory installed cards. Budget is around $200 but would prefer to keep it around the $120 to $150 mark. Thank you in advance for any help.

Spoiler

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I had 4 gigs of ram on my system, and the only time my ram was fully used is when i played planetside, so i upgraded to 8 gigs. Open up your task manager when you are gaming and see if your ram usage ever goes close to 90%. If it doesn't, it is not sensible to upgrade. And i bet if you don't stream, edit videos or stuff like that, you will never use the 8 gigs. The clock speed is only for showing off in gaming, it doesn't actually increase performance, unless (again) you do more advanced stuff. Whach for example those videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWgzA2C61z4 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0eSzBfsXKM. Also, the DDR4 ram is going to be a thing in about a year, so you might want to wait for that.

TLDNR: spend money on something else.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

It all depends on your hardware and OS. If you have a system can handle it, then you can use up to 64gig. Best bet is to look up your system specs and find out what the max RAM you can use on that hardware. Then jump over to your favorite site (newegg, tiger, etc) and look up for what is available in your price point. Something like this would be good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231705

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Upgrading RAM on my gaming laptop need some help selecting it

Anything more than 8gb for gaming is really not going to help. If you are good about closing down programs and not running many background programs then you are not going to need more than 8gb. Windows will use about 1.5gb and most games dont effectively use 64bit still so they dont go past 3.5gb. That adds up to 5gb which leaves 3gb of unused or reserved memory for other stuff. Planetside and Battlefields are of the few that can use more than 3.5gb but even still that assumes you are running the games on maximum settings andthen it will use about 4 or 5gb which still gives you unused memory. moral of the story dont waste 200$ on upgrading the size of the memory but do spend money on other stuff that will make a difference. cpu, ssd, or replace the slower memory with faster memory. In thise case I have always had goodluck with mushkin redlines.