Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Should I get the Oculus Rift DK2

I was thinking about getting the Oculus Rift DK2 but i don't want to just dump $350 into it and it not work. Anyone have the DK 1 version or the dk2 that would be willing to tell me if its really worth it, is it easy to setup and use?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Disclaimer: I do not own an Oculus Dev Kit

From what I hear, wait for the release. The dev kits will be worse than the actual release (fixing bugs and design and etc). The dev kits will be more expensive than the actual release (bigger runs, means more bulk orders, means cheaper units). Also, more stuff will support it, and it will work better.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Wait for release. I can't help but have this feeling that the oculus rift is just going to drop into obscurity and everyone's going to forget about it before its even released. Every time a new "toy" like this comes out, people tend to over hype it and then the hype just dies a bit before release.

Hell, wouldn't be surprise if a competitor beat them to the punch.
    Last edited by mrpenguin; 07-31-2014 at 11:25 PM.

Knee High to a Worms Ass DeathLurksAbove's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm not sure how much fun WT will be using the OR. I've tried WT in 3D a few times with an nVidia setup (780 GTX SLI and second gen glasses), and tbh apart from the 3D effect of your own plane, it really doesn't make much difference playing in 3D because there usually just isn't enough detail close to you to appreciate it. Maybe it would be more fun with Tanks as you're in closer proximity to the scenery than with planes.

A friend of mine has ordered the OR dev kit, I think he is due to get it at the end of the month (Aug), so if you're still interested then I can maybe give you an update. I can see myself getting an OR at some point after the full release as hardware will more than likely change for production versions. I can imagine it being really cool for FPS and racing games.

Knee High to a Worms Ass StrixTeam's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I've tried out the DK1...it's awesome for simulations and would go great with WT...if you just feel like flying,action games and fighting and that stuff is just a little easier without the Rift due to how you look around :/ also some other problems,it gives you a headache after about 10 minutes of playing something that has a lot of motion,if you calibrate it wrong then your game is messed up until you restart it,and where the pixels is so close to your face it has what they call a screen door affect which makes it look like you're tv is on the other side of a screen door(that's on the DK1,hopefully they have fixed it on DK2). It really is awesome though! Movies,simulations and soft going games is great! :)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The DK2 is 1080p and they have removed the screen door effect as far as i know, and also have used the dk1 but it was just a model of the room i was standing in so i didnt get to see much as far as graphics

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

and thx for everyone's opinions, they really help!!!!