Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon5 Headset VS Headphones + Mic (THE GREAT DEBATE)

What headsets or headphones are you guys using for your computer? Do you have a separate microphone? What is your opinion on USB 7.1 sound cards that come with headsets versus analog 3.5 mm jack?

I've been using a nice pair of in-ears with a crappy webcam mic for a long time, and now that one of my earbuds died i'm looking for a new stereo headset. I'll be using it mostly for gaming, watching movies and listening to mp3s, so i guess i'm not an audiophile, but i still want balanced, quality sound. A lot of "gaming" headsets over-emphasise on bass. Another thing that is really important to me is build quality - i like a mature leather and metal design, not some shiny plastic toy that looks like it's going to snap by itself. I'm really sceptical about the USB sound cards, because i think they are unnecessary. I would also like a nice microphone that doesn't pick up static. My budget is around 200 dollars.

I'd really like to hear what are you using and what are your recommendations.

So far the closest to my liking: http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Si...+siberia+elite

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I prefer to use a separate microphone. Most consumer level headsets are targeted at gamers and because of that, they significantly jack up the price while using lower quality parts.

For example, the sennheiser g4me zero cost $206, the headphones speakers are the same as the $110 sennheiser HD558.

Overall you will get far more quality by getting a separate headphone and microphone.

The headset you picked is more expensive at amazon than at newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826249111

simulated 7.1 surround sound is best to avoid as the process of doing that involves reducing detail and clarity in the center channel in order to expand the stereo image (while it can help with positioning in some games, it is bad for music, video and anything else that you care about the audio quality for.

My current setup uses a sennheiser HD555 headphone, and a blue yeti microphone. (a cheaper alternative to the blue yeti that will offer similar vocal performance, is the Audio-Technica ATR2500

My normal setup looks like this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNj4odj.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	354.0 KB 
ID:	12819
    and the audio captured ends up like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvXp...yer_detailpage (random video I did while editing a photo for someone on the post processing sub reddit)

Only down side is that unless you are willing to run some 3rd party applications in order to add noise reduction in real time, you will have to have the room very quiet (also a quiet PC), or lower the mic gain and bring it close to you.

review of the headset you picked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYf4ztK4nU

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Frostythehitman21's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I will start off and say I am certainly no audiophile just to get that out of the way.I own a Steel series v2 frost head set with a built in mic, I got this based off a recommendation from a friend. decent price, good mic , good sound quality,great durability, also parts can be ordered if it breaks, and as a glasses wearer i can say this headset is very comfortable for long game sections not to much pressure on the head. when I am not using my headset which is often because my ears get way to hot i use a cheap Labtec mic i got from Walmart back in like 06 and my 5.1 speakers Logitech X-530 System also my motherboard supports 7.1 but i really don't have any use that for as my only 7.1 system is on my TV and my gaming PC is not in the correct location to use it properly. So long story short my vote goes to steel series stuff, because i personally like there quality of product.It seems to be the best all round product in the price range.

my personal preferences are single player games Speakers
    Multiplayer games Headset, for communication purpose and so i can focus on sounds i need to hear ie. foot steps,gun shots,nades,tanks
    I feel that playing Multiplayer games with my speakers is great but i often have trouble because of my small desk i cant really surround my self with them correctly so i just use my head set so the sounds are in the correct position.Not sure if this is just me or not but my headset seems to amplify the sounds need to hear while my speakers blend them together. I also configure all my audio through realtec manager

take my opinion with a grain of salt i have only every had 2 head sets one being steel series v2 and some cheap brand
    motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131998
    speakers
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-X-530...s=Logitech+5.1
    head set the USB version
    http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Si.../dp/B008LT5MFA
    mic
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Labte.../dp/B000O7K4LO for some reason its now 75$ i payed like 20 back in 06 at a walmart

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

5 minute edit limit strikes again:

The video review that I linked to did not include an audio sample from the mic.

here is one that has an audio sample, (mic quality is basically similar to what you will get over a phone but with more treble)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B12...tailpage#t=320

Overall, what I look for in headphones is good audio quality, and user replaceable audio cable since the main part that will fail on headphones, is mainly the audio cable.

All audio cables have limitations to how many times they can be bent, and thus they will break through normal use (though quality cables can last a long time). with replaceable cables, a good pair of headphones can last 20+ years if needed.

overall the headphones have good audio quality, and are acceptable for $150

while you can get better audio quality for the same price if you don't need a mic or any extra parts, e.g., http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-D...s=beyerdynamic (will not work properly with smartphones, tablets, and low end onboard audio due to the 250 ohm speakers)

from the reviews, even from people who are into high end headphones, there are not really any complaints about the stereo audio quality. The company went with decent speakers that do not end up with any bands completely overpowering the spectrum.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

@AOD_Frostythehitman21
    That $75 price tag is done by 3rd party sellers, on amazon, it is hard to pull a listing down when you are out of stock. many management apps also have trouble working with inventory, so what many 3rd party sellers will do when they are out of stock, is jack the price up to a point where no one will buy it.

that mic has largely dropped to around $10

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Frostythehitman21's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I always wondered why that happens, interesting. i just cant believe the mic still works after all the years its been on 3 of my PC builds and it was so cheap lol

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Kc2000's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I've owned a Creative Fatal1ty USB Headset for about 3 years now. I originally bought it to take some of the load of my old, sucky Pentium dual core and because I could not afford a 3.5mm headset + sound card at the time. In terms of sound quality, I'd say it's pretty good though I'm no audiophile either. The build quality is a good solid plastic and hasn't broken despite dropping and stepping on it a bunch of times.

I'd only ever recommend a USB headset if you fall into at least one of three categories:
    1) Your CPU blows chunks and/or is a Intel Celeron/AMD Athlon X2
    2) You have no free PCI-e slots for a sound card
    3) You're looking to save a buck or two

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Headset VS Headphones + Mic (THE GREAT DEBATE)

+1 Steelseries Siberia V2

I almost gave up on analog headsets until I got this one. I have tried multiple Razers, logitech and corsair headsets and all had issues. The steelseries is the only headset at a semi budget price that works well, sounds good, is comfortable, and durable. Only problem is my wife says I look funny wearing them because of the bungy cord bar on top but at least you guys cant see me :)

I didn't take Steroids...Honest WHOAPONY's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have the raptor hs40 - http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair...gaming-headset. It is the only headset I have had, I've had it for 8 months, I love it. Only complaint is that after 4+ hours of straight gaming, it can get tight. Mic is good, sound is decent. A good choice if you aren't looking to spend a lot of money.
    PS: don't buy corsair products from the main website, they always charge $10 more than an amazon or similar.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for all the replies. I took note of all the suggestions, although because i live in Slovenia, my options are limited and more expensive. I decided to buy Sennheiser HD 558 and a separate mic, but now i have a question. Will my onboard sound chipset and ipod be able to sufficiently play such headphones? And will i benefit at all if i buy a dedicated sound card?

Btw, the impedence on these is 50 ohms, my mobo is Asus P5Q.

AOD for life AOD Member AOD_Kharior's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

My Siberia V2's have survived a deployment and 3 years of serious abuse, to include being thrown once. Pretty reliable, great sound and a decent retractable mic for about 80 bucks.
    Kill the meat, save the metal
    -DraigUK

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue lokey006's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Headset VS Headphones + Mic (THE GREAT DEBATE)

I use a Blue Yeti mic and AudioTechnica ATH-T200 and absolutely love the combo