Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Summer Rebuild Goal (v 1.0)

Hello Everyone,

So using the details from a previous thread I started for a friend. http://www.logicalincrements.com/ this mentioned website, I have put together a rough estimate of what I am shooting for this Summer in a newly built rig. My rig isn't old of course but the wife said I can get myself a new pc, who am I to judge >.< or even to argue :P.

Case:
    Coolmaster Cosmos II

Windows 8.1 Pro

PSU:
    EVGA SuperNova

Motherboard:
    ASUS Rampage Extreme V

CPU:
    Intel i7-5960 Haswell-E

RAM:
    32gb DDR4 - G.SKILL Ripjaws 4

Video Card:
    3gb - EVGA GTX 780 Ti

SSD:
    120gb - PNY *Current OS Drive*
    1tb - Samsung 850 pro

Optical Drive:
    Debating if I even need one as I have a USB Drive i can plug in if i need to read a DVD

Cooling:
    This is where I wonder if i am building a epic rig should I go with the Aircoolant that was recommended or should I go with liquid cooling for the first time?

Total Price = $3,969.72

My current build would then be converted into a Entertainment PC / Steambox in the Entertainment room, for guests and the wife ect.

Which button is shoot again.....? AOD Member AOD_Mickgoth's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

wow, someone has a lucky wife! Are you trying to launch satellites with that build!

To answer your question, i would liquid cool that. Cooling would be your only draw back (if any) so why skimp on the £££ sorry $$$.
    That much RAM....really???
    As for optical drive, if your happy, i wouldn't bother. can't remember the last time i used mine. In fact i think its broke....but who gives a s**t

Post the pics up when complete!!!

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Entering that platform this early will mean that you are getting a really bad price to performance ratio. Current DDR4 memory is not much faster than DDR3 (while this will change in the future when the frequencies increase and the timings come down in addition to the pricing coming down significantly. (PC the current haswell E CPU's are pretty much all being sold at above the MSRP )

For your system, most of the cost if going to what can be considered to be the early adopter tax

If you can hold off from a next gen build, you will likely be able to knock a lot of money off of the price. (that same money being put into a DDR3 platform, and using a CPU like the 4770k, and liquid cooling it, and then pushing the voltage to 1.35V and just overclocking the crap out of it, you will end up with a system with really good CPU performance, and likely triple SLI for the price.

If you have the money buring a hole through your pocket, then that build will handle any game and the added CPU performance will be great if you do a lot of video editing or 3D modeling.

If you will mainly be doing gaming and media consumption, then the extra cores will not benefit you as most games are unable to make use of even 4 cores. and for the ones that do, they often will often have different modules in the game use different cores,and thus you never have more than one core working on the same specific task, and thus even with multiple cores, you will often reach a point where a game is not offering 60FPS, and the GPU usage is low, and the limit will be that 1 of the threads has reached 100% CPU usage and it bottlenecking everything else. I have yet to see a game truly multithread in the way that many professional applications will multithread where multiple cores can share the workload for a single task.

Also, do you 100% need 1TB of SSD storage? (there is not much of a benefit to doing bulk storage on an SSD, and you can often easily get great results with a smaller SSD (probably 512GB or 256GB, and then keeping all bulk data on a 3+TB hard drive.

If needed, you can also save money on the case, unless that specific case has a specific feature they you must have.

The GTX 900 series will also be coming out soon (which is even more reason to wait

Overall, moving to a DDR3 build will allow you to go most of the same components with the exception of the motherboard, CPU (i7 4790k), and RAM, but still have DDR3 2400 CL11, 3 way SLI (3X GTX 780 ti) (such a build will make a far better gaming PC)

If you can go longer with your current system, then you may be able to wait for the next gen video cards to come out, in addition to the DDR 4 pricing, and the early adopter taxes on all of the other next gen hardware to go away, and likely go with your same build in the OP, but with 2 way SLI and still end up with a lower price.

For overclocking the CPU, you must use liquid cooling. especially with the 6 and 8 core versions as the temperatures quickly get out of control when you start pushing more than 1.3V into the CPU

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Mokona512 View Post
    Entering that platform this early will mean that you are getting a really bad price to performance ratio. Current DDR4 memory is not much faster than DDR3 (while this will change in the future when the frequencies increase and the timings come down in addition to the pricing coming down significantly. (PC the current haswell E CPU's are pretty much all being sold at above the MSRP )

For your system, most of the cost if going to what can be considered to be the early adopter tax

If you can hold off from a next gen build, you will likely be able to knock a lot of money off of the price. (that same money being put into a DDR3 platform, and using a CPU like the 4770k, and liquid cooling it, and then pushing the voltage to 1.35V and just overclocking the crap out of it, you will end up with a system with really good CPU performance, and likely triple SLI for the price.

If you have the money buring a hole through your pocket, then that build will handle any game and the added CPU performance will be great if you do a lot of video editing or 3D modeling.

If you will mainly be doing gaming and media consumption, then the extra cores will not benefit you as most games are unable to make use of even 4 cores. and for the ones that do, they often will often have different modules in the game use different cores,and thus you never have more than one core working on the same specific task, and thus even with multiple cores, you will often reach a point where a game is not offering 60FPS, and the GPU usage is low, and the limit will be that 1 of the threads has reached 100% CPU usage and it bottlenecking everything else. I have yet to see a game truly multithread in the way that many professional applications will multithread where multiple cores can share the workload for a single task.

Also, do you 100% need 1TB of SSD storage? (there is not much of a benefit to doing bulk storage on an SSD, and you can often easily get great results with a smaller SSD (probably 512GB or 256GB, and then keeping all bulk data on a 3+TB hard drive.

If needed, you can also save money on the case, unless that specific case has a specific feature they you must have.

The GTX 900 series will also be coming out soon (which is even more reason to wait

Overall, moving to a DDR3 build will allow you to go most of the same components with the exception of the motherboard, CPU (i7 4790k), and RAM, but still have DDR3 2400 CL11, 3 way SLI (3X GTX 780 ti) (such a build will make a far better gaming PC)

If you can go longer with your current system, then you may be able to wait for the next gen video cards to come out, in addition to the DDR 4 pricing, and the early adopter taxes on all of the other next gen hardware to go away, and likely go with your same build in the OP, but with 2 way SLI and still end up with a lower price.

For overclocking the CPU, you must use liquid cooling. especially with the 6 and 8 core versions as the temperatures quickly get out of control when you start pushing more than 1.3V into the CPU
    Thanks for the responses folks, yea i'd say that's a sound thing. Wait another year and buy the similar products that have been field tested and weeded out. I was going with the 1tb method vs the multiple SSD's purely because the cost of the SSD's i was looking at to get to 1tb of space was more then the cost of that drive.

When your playing games like BF4 who's base game is like 30gb lol if you get a 120 gb hard drive that's a quarter of your space in just the base game. Any EA game really, was going to rattle them off but I think most of the AAA titles release pretty uncompressed files that take up huge chunks of your Drive space.

The case, no doesn't have a specific feature I must have.

Ideally with this build, looking to go for the max performance and reliability build that is there at the time. Something that has easy cable management, I haven't used a modular PSU in a while but they were great the last time i used them, simply becuase you don't have excess cables to squirrel away.

The case should look elegant and have a color theme throughout it, sick of just straight up black with no windows to see the art you put together lol.
    I'd like something that could give me the temps on the front, though if i recall you said somewhere that they were not as accurate as the software based ones?

You mentioned SLI I thought it was better to go with one card due to a frame stutter caused by SLI and Xfire setup's

Games still aren't taking advantage of Multi-Core tech ? that's sad haven't Dual core's been out since the beginning of the 2000's ?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

While multicore CPU's have been out for a longtime, games have been taking advantage of the extra cores, but the way they do it, is by making the game more modular. some companies will do it at a very basic and simple level where the game engine runs on one core and the direct 3D or open gl renderer runs on a separate thread, e.g., firefall and warframe will do that.

Other games like watchdogs would use 3 cores worth of threading (though early on it had some major lag issues due to the DRM using the same thread as the game engine, and would cause lag spikes when ever that process scanned the memory to make sure you were not running a modded uplay launcher to essentially get games from them for free without having to crack each individual game.

For SLI, nvidia has implemented proper frame pacing which should pretty much prevent frame stuffer and jitter as long as they have an SLI profile for the game you are running. ( Though 3 way SLI will be serious overkill unless you plan to do some 4K gaming)

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Summer Rebuild Goal (v 1.0)

OMG!!!! Did you just look for the most expensive parts and assume that they must be good. Sorry if this is offensive. What in the world would you ever need 32GB of ram for. Unless you are creating animated movies you wouldnt even come close to using even half that. DDR4 is way to new to even be of difference performance wise. You are paying double the price for something that will make little difference. You could easily build the same system for half the price using ddr3 parts. If this is a gaming rig I would suggest an i5, 8-16GB of Ram, maybe two of the video cards you mentioned above in SLI and a watercooling kit. If you are looking at running a server then upgrade to an i7.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The main reason why his build is needing DDR 4 is it seems to be centered around the latest haswell-e CPU's from intel where if you want 8 cores, then you are pretty much going with quad channel DDR4

As with DDR 1,2,3, and 4, once a new DDR standard comes out, for a while the new standard does not perform much better than the older ones (in the case of DDR4, it on a per stick basis, it performs slower than DDR3 of the same speed, as DDR4 currently has higher timings. When on a quad channel config, you get better overall throughput though memory latency is still higher. This means that applications that are memory latency sensitive, will have reduced performance (this may include some games), but program that are throughput sensitive, you will get a decent boost with current DDR4 memory (only program that I can think of that will benefit from DDR4 right now, is adobe aftereffects, which benefits greatly from better RAM throughput.

If he waits, it will likely be able to still go with DDR4 but have the overall cost significantly lower when the early adopter tax goes away.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I am all for waiting, I definitely want to get that SSD now i think though. Are you saying that it would work better displacing your games over multiple 512's vs a 1024 drive?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Get enough SSD storage for the applications that you would like to install. 1TB SSD storage is very expensive so it is best to only buy what you need (if you need 1TB then you will be stuck paying for 1TB). Going with multiple SSD's will not benefit you, especially with the 850 pro that is already being bottlenecked by the SATA bus.

Overall, think about how much space you need and if you truly need 1TB in order to handle all of the applications that you will normally have installed.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Frostythehitman21's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

1+ for water cooling, just did my first not to long ago with a delid on my cpu and my idle temps are 28C :) and my pc is very quiet. i would be happy to walk you through it any time