If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! TEC/BMonty's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default New Computer Build

I'm probably building a new desktop PC over Summer 2015. Would anyone mind giving me suggestions on this part list?
    [URL]http://pcpartpicker.com/user/brokenbow1/saved/MKBrxr[URL]

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

[URL="http://pcpartpicker.com/user/brokenbow1/saved/MKBrxr"] for some reason the URL didn't link, so I reposted it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

OK, so I can't figure out how to link it. Just copy and paste it at this point.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

seems okay but you picked the 4770 instead of the 4770k only get the 4770 if you do not plan to overclock, at which point you should not get the liquid cooler either, and possibly even go with a cheaper motherboard.

I highly recommend getting the K series so that you can overclock. the performance boost is significant and very noticeable while being easy to achieve, so the for about $20 extra, it is well worth it.

The USB wifi adapter will not be the best solution if you need permanent connectivity. USB is more CPU intensive and is more likely to provide inconsistent performance when running other CPU intensive applications, furthermore, USB 2.0 on a wifi adapter, due to the USB overhead as well as the overhead when communicating with the wifi adapter, the real world performance drops to around 200mbit/s, which while okay for normal web use, it is far too slow to be useful if you need to access a NAS or shared folder on your network.

If you must go with USB wifi then wait until you can get the netgear a6210 which uses the highest performing wifi radio of any other USB wifi adapter, and uses USB 3 which will actually allow you to get the real world 500+mbit/s of 2 stream 802.11ac.

Though this is still a bad choice compared to spending $5-10 on some ethernet cable and getting a lag free gigabit connection to your router. PS most new wifi adapters will not support all of the passive and active wifi modes, thus some of them will make it difficult or impossible to do wifi hacking (if case you wanted the wifi adapter for that) (the further you are from the router, the higher the ping times with using wifi due to the retransmission and other issues. Wifi performance also drops quickly with range, after around 30 feet and a wall or 2, you may only hit around 120mbit/s

The Kingston SSDNow V300 is a very low endurance SSD so if you go for it, avoid storing really important info on it unless you have backups.

If you do not plan to do 3 way SLI, then you really do not need that 1000 watt power supply, a 750 watt PSU will easily supply more than enough power for even if you wanted to do SLI

for reference, the link in your original post is http://pcpartpicker.com/user/brokenbow1/saved/MKBrxr

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for pointing out the low-durability SSD - I'll take all of these suggestions. What would be a better SSD if I intend to put the operating system on it? Any suggestions?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The SSD you picked will be okay for general desktop use, but if you plan to use applications that will use the SSD as a scratch disk, then you are better off looking for something like the samsung 840 pro, or 850 pro.

Occasionally installing and updating games will not be an issue even for the cheapest SSD's

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I updated the part list based on your suggestions. I'm not sure if I plan on overclocking or not, and was going to wait to get a CPU cooler until I decided whether I was or not. If I do OC, I'll probably be using either a Corsair H80i or a H100i.
    I'm not planning on using Wi-Fi exclusively, but that's a "just-in-case" measure. The motherboard has built-in support for Ethernet up to either 1 or 10 Gbps, but I can't remember which.
    On the power supply, I was told to go with one about double the estimated wattage, but I dropped it back to an 860 W Corsair power supply.
    I'm not planning (at the moment) to do crossfire, so I instead went with a relatively good graphics card that could perform well on its own.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If I don't OC, would a non-water-cooling CPU cooler still be a good idea? The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO looks good if it is a good idea.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Video Card

Would you recommend the GTX 780 Ti or a two-way SLI on the GTX 970 cards which were released today? They work out to be about the same price. This is a version of the build with two GTX 970s from MSI instead.
    http://www.pcpartpicker.com/user/bro...1/saved/F926Mp

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm virtually spamming this post now, but if I go with the i7 4790k (cheaper because Micro Center actually manages to keep it in stock), do I even need to overclock it? It has a 4 GHz base clock rate, and with dual SLI GTX 970s, I don't really see the need. With that setup, will I need a CPU cooler?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

At stock speed, the CPU is more than fast enough for any game on the market, and thus overclocking would be of no benefit. But for CPU bound tasks such as 3D modeling, compiling code, video editing exporting the edited video,and other related tasks will benefit from overclocking, as overclocking on those areas tend to scale linearly. a 25% overclock will actually close to a 25% reduction in the time it takes for you to render that 3D model or have adobe premiere pro export a video.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Another question - would the MSI Gaming 5 or the ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO be better for this computer?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Bumping this very old thread - I've made several major changes to the build since I last asked for opinions.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7XPcFT