Save the whales. Collect the whole set DaveSchilling's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks guys! :)

Found three second hand bargaisn today.. (I wish those two Hurricanes were in game - the IIc will be (?) but the IId has been removed from the release tree)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Pre-shading da Spit...

Bear with me...

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Aaand.. A British Phantom.. Gotta love the Rolls Royce Speys....

Apart from spawning team mates ramming me and getting me into trouble (I do not have to say it is Toe, do I????) - teh Brits also make sweet engines to improve (let´s call it that) wnderful US aircraft.. That tradition just goes on I guess.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

How pre-shade turns out under three pretty thin Duck Egg Blue coats..

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Not easy to strike that balance between a "perfect" Dark Earth, two-three thin layers here, and save some of that pre-shade.. The undercoat is light and messes up but needs to, I think.. Might try a slightly darkeer next time however.

Also started a Hurricane Mk. IIc..

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

There were some questions.. So I post some links!

For Spanakis:

http://www.modellbau-koenig.de/

And I find this Forum to be very good for basically anything! Good sections on questions, accuracy, reviews on kits and stuff, galleries (really sweet!)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Damn, can´t edit after some mnutes.. Anyway - Span asked about scales.

I mainly build 1/48, right now. Restarted with 1/72, but then I did not have an airbrush - they were pretty easy to brush paint. Now I find them a little too small. But that is not all bad - it is (usually) faster to build them and you can get away without some detailing (which irritates me when I do in larger scales, feels like cheating sometimes). And some models are so nice that i still buy them in that scale (Tamiya P-47s for one example). And some planes get so big in 1/48 or 1/32... Like twn engined and four engine aircraft. (Though there is B-25s, B-17s and similar in 1/32! I think the B-17 is 1m in span..!)

1/48 feels pretty good for most aircraft for me and there is a lot of kits out there. Though I do have two P-51Ds and two P-47Ds in 1/32.. A single engined fighter does not feel that much bigger in 1/32 but you can (or skip) adding some more nice detailing in cockpit and engine if you want to. Like starting harness or whatever it is called, for the P&W R-2800, looks pretty impressive!

I do buy some "aftermarket" stuff as well. Depends on what model it is.. Usually some other decals because I already have an idea/vision of I want to build, find a suitable kit and then some separate decals or painting masks for them. Other stuff I migh add is some photo etched brass (for seat bealts, instrumet panels etc) or resin parts. Resin parts like drop tanks that might not be in the kit or sometimes a new cockpit that is usually much more good looking with more and better detailing. But it also costs more and a lot of it will not be seen once assembled..! There is usually also better looking tyres in resin or as replacment for awful rubber ones (that is sometimes the only ones you get and they do not stand up to time well and might attack the paint).
    I also buy brass barrels now and then, especially for Hispanos without fairings for example - they do look soo much better in that medium than plastic (usally) and guns is a focus point when you look at the model..

But that also makes it more expensive of course.. Advanced modellers syndrome is a dreaded sickness when you cannot buy a kit and build it out of the box without all the extras.. ;)

As for manufacters.. There is a lot! I have some favourites that I know always deliver and I do read reviews before I buy a kit. There might be inaccuries that I might or might not care about.. A couple of the ones I have in my stash and like:

Airfix - old British classic. They were bought by Hornby a few years ago and have started to release ALOT of cheap and nice kits since. Both in 1/48 and 1/72 (mainly). Cheap, easy to build and accurate. But alot of their older kits are also out there and they might or might not be good. Some are from the 60s and can be trickier to build..

Hasegawa - Japan manufacter, makes alot of kits and often re-releases them with different decals or extra sprues for different options (see the Hurricanes above). Very well fit, highly accurate but can sometimes be triicky since the breakdown of the kit is usually made so many variations can be done so extra parts like the fuselage often in more parts than others might do... Also getting pricier here in Europe...

Tamiya - also from Japan and an old competitior to Hasegawa. Probably makes THE BEST kits. Extremely good fit and they are extrmely accurate. If the parts do not fit YOU have done something wrong..! ;)
    Have fewer kits than Hasegawa but have a bunch of extremly nice 1/48 and especially their 1/32 kits. But they are also moore pricey.

Academy - Korean. Have not build many from them but they make nice ones. Released an extremely nice f-4 Phantom II in 1/48 the other year... (Love those planes!) Not as good as Tamiya or Hasegawa but cheaper and not bad at all.

Eduard - Czech manufacter that both makes their own kits and photo etched brass and resin parts to upgrade competitor´s kits. Most kits are very, very nice but feels trickier than the ones above. Their pretty new Spitfire Mk. IX is one of the finest kits I have ever seen though!
    And they have good boxings like "Weekend" and "Profipacks" for example, where the weekend kit is cheaper with usually jusy one decal option and no paint masks (for canopies - helsp alot! Saves time). Profipacks usually have those paint masks, several decal options, photot etched parts etc. Not very expensive generally either

There is also a couple of Chinese manufacters, I have only tried Hobbyboss and Trumpeter. They are not bad but now and then they release some kits with inaccuries that should just not happen... Trumpeter especially.. That is why you read reviews though. ;)
    They deliever most often but there are some kits to avoid.
    There are more like Great Wall Hobby, Kitty Hawk etc. but I have not tried them..

Revell - old classic. Has been separated under a US part and a German part earlier but are now back under one lead I think. Makes cheap kits that usually are still very good! Just released a pretty good Spitfire IIa in 1/32 for example. Costs about £20. Tamiya´s Mk. IX costs over £100 (but is also muuch, much better though Revelll´s aint bad).

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Less than good.. Had some colour lift with the maskingtape.. Shit happens and it can be fixed - just takes some extra work and time.. :P

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Decals, some of them..

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

No chick in my lap today... So no :boobies:

...but even better! I got two new models so this is what is in my lap today!

Didn´t get any friggin´ torpedoes with the Beau but well a rokkit-rack! So sweet model that one...

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Getting close... Some rubbish left to do but..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12