Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_Vial8R's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Icon8 My SSD is dying, I think.

Like the title says, my Samsung 840 EVO is dying. Last night I turned my computer off, like normal, but the fans and the lights stayed running. I waited a couple minutes with no change so I flipped the power supply switch. Today when I went to turn it on, I got a nice 0xc00000e9 error, stating that

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
    1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."
    If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\config\system
    Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt."

I ran the repair and it fixed registry issues. I can now start the computer, but after a while it just freezes and stops responding. I can usually move the mouse around, but that is pretty much it. I have done a few things to check into it more. CCleaner found a bunch of errors in the registry that I fixed (after backing it up, of course) but that didn't solve the issues. I checked the SMART report for the SSD, which only has Windows and Battlefield 4 installed (all my other programs are installed on a regular hard drive) and it showed the following:

Description Threshold Current Value Worst Value Raw Data Status
    Reallocated sector count 10 99 99 2 OK
    Power-on hours 0 99 99 1396 OK
    Power-on count 0 99 99 347 OK
    Wear leveling count 0 99 99 8 OK
    Used reserved block count 10 99 99 2 OK
    Program fail count 10 100 100 0 OK
    Erase fail count 10 100 100 0 OK
    Runtime bad count 10 99 99 2 OK
    Uncorrectable error count 0 99 99 1993 FAIL
    Airflow temp 0 67 67 33 OK
    ECC error rate 0 199 199 1993 FAIL
    CRC error count 0 100 100 0 OK
    POR recovery count 0 99 99 26 OK
    Total LBAs written 0 99 99 26260... OK

The total LBAs written was cutoff and I was not able to expand the column before it froze again. But as you can see, the uncorrectable error counts and ECC error rates are listed as failed. Some of the others are higher than they should be for this drive being only a few months old. This was supposed to be a pretty good drive, I would have thought it would last longer than this. According to the Samsung program for the drive, it shows the drive health as good, even with the two fails. Anyone have any suggestions? I am planning on just putting windows back on one of my regular drives, the SSD bonus in Battlefield 4 is pretty much nonexistent with the new delayed starts. I will be contacting Amazon since that is where it was purchased from, and Samsung as well, but from what I have seen in the comments on the Amazon page lately, there are a lot of complaints from the last couple months.
    Let me know if you need anything and I will do my best to help or find someone for you.
    Panzerbuchse Leaderboard Current Ryzen 7 Gaming Rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/jDrV3C

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

How much did you write to the SSD?

The 840 evo becomes unreliable after around 100TB (240GB version) of writes (50TB for the 120GB version)

If the warranty is still good, then RMA it, but understand that depending on your use case, the issue will happen again. The solution to this is to avoid TLC flash based SSDs in addition to also avoiding all 16nm based MLC SSDs

also try running the samsung magician http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...downloads.html

Other than that, make sure you backup your data and RMA the drive, and then consider getting an 840 pro or an 850 pro.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default My SSD is dying, I think.

Try running memtest86+? It is possible to get the same errors with faulty RAM or overclock. I have had many bad writes to the hdd, caused by an unstable overclock, that resulted in the same issues as you.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_Vial8R's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I will try to upload a picture I was able to get that shows it all a little better. I believe it was just over 1TB that was wrote to it. I haven't had the time to call Samsung about it yet due to my work schedule, but Amazon's site states that it is not eligible for return anymore. I haven't talked to someone there yet either though. It is backed up, so that isn't a worry. I used Hirens as well as the built in Windows backup as soon as I started all this.

From my Moto X to your screen via the magic of the internet.
    Let me know if you need anything and I will do my best to help or find someone for you.
    Panzerbuchse Leaderboard Current Ryzen 7 Gaming Rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/jDrV3C