Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Event Ideas: "Follow the Leader" and "Trench Run"

Follow the Leader

The idea behind "Follow the Leader" is to fly agile planes along a river and fly through the bridge supports or the bridge itself. Every person follows single-file through the run. The person in front determines what the rest of the team does. Whichever support they fly through (and at what speed), the rest must follow suit. If the leader does a perfect loop under the bridge, so too must everyone else. If the leader crashes, the next person in line becomes the new leader. Win conditions could be how long one remains the leader, who has the least crashes, or last plane flying. This works best with the realistic flight model, but can work just fine with arcade.

Trench Run

"Trench Run" would be very similar to "Follow the Leader" except that it follows more the classic Star Wars Death Star trench run. Effectively this would be "Follow the Leader" with enemy planes in pursuit. A few friendly planes would fly down the river with a few enemy planes firing at them. The friendlies would have to avoid the gunfire while also ducking and weaving through the bridges. The enemies would also have to follow the friendly planes through each turn, each support, each evasion. Win conditions would obviously be which team remains alive at the end of the run.

Some modifications to this idea could be the occasional strafing runs (from both teams on their opposites) and, if possible, the addition of tanks along the river.

So let me know what you all think.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

this sounds pretty cool in my opinion

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Zoscho's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

This has excellent potential, indeed!

For trench run, i'd suggest the 'runners' to be in more sturdy planes (heav fighters/bombers) and the attackers to be nimble fighters, but with only 7.7mm MGs (biplanes, max. Spitfire Mk 1)

If you ain't makin' waves, you ain't kickin' hard enough! BoomBoomStick's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Both ideas sound great i just don`t wanna do it in realistic though.

And Zoscho dont make them heavy fighters just make the trench very small at some points and enough bridges and such.

making them heavy fighters just takes the speed out of it.

Danneskjold Repossessions. AOD Member AOD_Danneskjold's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Half the battle is picking the right map to do it. This does sound like fun, but remember it's gotta be easy to access, easy to follow the rules, and easy to get the game going.

Can I have your Tots WindsOfBoreas's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

There is a map with lots of rivers and bridges, but I cannot remember the name right now. I'll look for it tomorrow.

This could also be extended to trick flying too. I was practicing something earlier when I was test flying the La-7B. I flew under the bridge, continued a little ways, did an Immelman followed by a steep dive with the attempt to go back under the bridge. I was effectively trying to do a squished figure-eight (\_/). Unfortunately, I crashed in the water. One of the maps (one that comes up for Germans in realistic) has a lot of industrial areas that would make for good obstacle courses.

I've actually thought up another idea:

Water Skiing

The idea behind this is to take any float plane, but particularly an agile one like the naval Zero, and see how fast you can skim along the water without crashing and without lifting. The plane has to be touched-down in the water. Again this would be better in realistic since you'd have to juggle dive speed as well.
    Last edited by WindsOfBoreas; 11-01-2014 at 04:31 AM.