Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Default 3 monitor setup

Hey guys/gals,

I'm finally looking to upgrade to a 3 monitor setup (nvidia surround) with my gtx 980 coming soon. However one thing that is bothering me is that in all the recordings i have seen of people running 3 monitors is the black "frames" of the monitors themselves cutting into the picture?

Does anyone have 3 screen setup or any experience with this? I heard from some people that after awhile you don't even notice........but how can't you lol?

I don't want to pump money into my dream only for it to be ruined by black plastic lines and "edgeless monitors aren't really edgeless and are £$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I EpicBlob's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have a two monitor system but just one for gaming (other is vent/chrome) so I don't constantly look between them, but if it does bother you I would get some thin-bezeled monitors. Theres a couple good ones like this one http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...o=7694609&Sku=

While there would still be a couple mm of bezel with something like this, I'm sure the effect would be much less noticeable.

I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it. AOD Member AOD_Eastwood's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Vs :(

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hello fellow Vanu brother. I run 3 U3011's, which are 30 inch monitors in NVidia surround. You will be able to mitigate the bezel problem with bezel correction, which is really just a custom resolution. Basically, instead of an object crossing from one screen, touching the edge, and quantum leaping to the next, it simulates the effect of passing through the bezel as if it were a window frame. This small touch really does immerse you in the 3 monitor experience better as it, for me anyway, seems to trick the brain into thinking it is looking at a more natural image all together. When I turn it off and run on a native resolution I definitely notice I'm simply running 3 monitors and the bezels bother me a lot more.

Also, you will be happy to know that 90% of you focus is going to be narrowed to your primary monitor, where the other two support your peripheral, you don't even think about the bezels. So the bezel problem is really overstated in my opinion and I don't think it should deter you from following your dream. I had the same concerns you did, especially committing to $3,600 worth of displays.

Additionally, I would look into how well 2a 980 will run 3 monitors. If this is a dream rig for you, don't expect to run everything maxed out all the time. VRAM becomes a big issue regardless of how powerful your gpu is otherwise. I have 3 580's and I can only produce 30fps avg in planetside 2 on minimal settings, though I am in dire need of an upgrade so I can't speak for newer cards.
    Last edited by TooterFish; 11-17-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! ghost_03's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have 3x 23" monitors. Four points.

1.) You need a lot of video card. I have SLI GTX 760s and honestly I don't feel its fast enough for BF4. Even on high and not ultra I hoover around 50 fps.

2.) You'll want to use bezel correction as described above me. For me, there's approximately 120 pixels of monitor bezel between monitors (60 each). It's about 1" worth. This means instead of running at 5780x1080, I run at 6000x1080. Works well.

3.) I was never really that worried about the black bezels bothering me, and they didn't. I forget about them, just the way I didn't notice the lines of the face mask when I played hockey. My brain is compensating for them. If you expect them to bother you though, you might stay conscience of it however and it might be harder to forget. What DOES bother me, however, especially in FPS games, is that things off to the side get very skewed and stretched out. The further you get from the center of the screen, the worse it is.

4.) I was expecting to be blown away by three monitors, it sounded so cool. I thought it would make me a better FPS player. Neither of those things happened. Don't get me wrong, its pretty cool, but for me at least it is mostly a novelty, though, an enjoyable one. Most important for me is that three monitors is SUPER productive for the kinds of work I do.

Which button is shoot again.....? AOD Member AOD_Mickgoth's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Thanks for all your comments guys, gave me something to go away and think about. Sacrificing FPS for a sexy look isn't an option i'm afraid so unless i win the lottery for some top range video cards................

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have done a 3 monitor setup (though it was with 3 19 inch displays each at 1440x900, and while performance was great, I could not stand the borders.

I now currently use a 21.5 inch 1080p display for gaming, and a secondary 19 inch 1440x900 display

I have not tried triple displays with thin bezels so I am not sure how much it will improve things, but I guess it is personal preference as some people seem to like it. I just cannot stand the bezels.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Fishwithadeagle's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have a 24 and 2 21in monitors, and I have no issues with the black bars actually cutting into the picture, but that is just me. Some people can't stand the black bars in between the two areas of the pictures.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I ReapeRx124's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I only have 2 monitors, one for gaming and the second one just for whatever I might need open at the time like Vent, Battlelog, etc. I wouldn't mind having a third, but sadly my graphics card doesn't have enough ports. :(

A Mighty Pirate!
    Rank
    Master Sergeant
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Using multiple monitors honestly is a gimmick when it comes to gaming. For productivity purposes, it's more than worth it if you have the desk space and do a lot of work on the computer. (I use a 3 monitor setup at work, and it makes multitasking a cinch). But dropping the money to get monitors and a beefy enough GPU to handle gaming at a relatively nice setting, all just to be sitting for hours with your head on a swivel (going back and forth because let's face it, you'd have to) is.. for the birds.

No offense to those that have spent money on stuff like this, but I tend to think the same way I do about people who buy high end sports cars. More money than brains...

That said, if it's your dream, go for it. :P

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have to respectfully disagree with the statement that multiple monitors is a gimmick. In Arma, CS, BF4, flight sims, hell just about any genre, the wide FOV is very immersive and can offer a significant advantage online if you keep your frames up. I love my Surround setup :)

Which button is shoot again.....? AOD Member AOD_Mickgoth's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Whilst it still is my goal, i will prob wait for either

1. sales (graphics cards/monitors)
    2. Time to pass so they naturally become cheaper as new stuff comes out (then i'll prob want them too!!)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Have you checked out any of the Ultra Wide Screen stuff coming out? Samsung even has a curved one which looks awesome. I don't know how good the response times are on them but if having a 144hz screen isn't really a priority for you the Ultra Wides are a great middle ground for people who don't want to deal with the hassles that come with 3 monitor setups, including the taxing system requirements, bezels, and stretching in the peripheral vision. Though it is less real estate. I'd personally love to hear from someone who has gone this route, it might even be a better option.