Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default ELI5: BF4 Port 3659 (UDP)

Do any AODers get this error?

ERROR
    Game disconnected: Client closed down connection. Check your network connection and make sure that port 3659 (UDP) is open.

Man, I do, all the time, but only when someone else at the house is playing bf. In our case, we have 4 players, and it goes like this...

One guy joins a server, then everyone else joins on him, or joins the server directly. All is well. No errors, no problems. If we stay on the server, we can play for 8 hours. Not that we would play for 8 hours...wait. We prolly have.

Then one guy quits bf, but leaves origin open.

Now...if ANYONE else leaves that server and tries to join another server, we get the error above. The issue will cascade across the LAN so no one who leaves the original server can play until we do the following:

1. Everyone logs out of Origin, i.e. shuts it down.
    2. We reboot the network routers, i.e. unplug the google fiber boxes and plug them back in.
    3. We wait 5 minutes (out of superstition).
    4. We pretend its the start of our BF4 day and join on one guy.
    5. Sometimes we do the above 4 steps several times until it works. Sometimes we /ragequit our computers and watch Parks and Rec.

It's insanely frustrating. It's so annoying, there's a 64 page forum post at battlelog here: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...4418606083/64/

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck 13uckFUtter's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

From my understanding could be the router or that bf4 doesn't support lan.

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! AOD Member AOD_crucified's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    PlayerUnknown
    Status
    Active

Default ELI5: BF4 Port 3659 (UDP)

are you all wireless or all plugged into the same router

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

AOD_13uckFUtter I can believe that, sort of. I mean, ppl have been lanning since doom, boot floppies and freakin IPX drivers - BUT OH WELL NO ONE LANS TODAY AMIRITE?! :) (for nostalgia: http://www.classicdoom.com/doominfo.htm)

But I have a suspicion that it's not BF4 but more of an Origin thing or possibly an attempt by the data centers hosting the servers to prevent DDoS. Idunno. It's lame.

AOD_crucified: we're all wired at 1gb to the switch and to the router. every component from the desktop to the router is 1gb, not that we need 1gb for a video game. But indeed we certainly all have the same IP addy going out of the router.

Our solution is to just restart everything, and wait 10 minutes, then join up 1 at a time, not all at once in a big hurry.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck 13uckFUtter's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I could see it being ddos prevention too, When I played Quake Live Competitively we could only play duel matches for the longest time off the same router and we had to modify the router to get it to run lan.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! creamgirL's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Who are the 4 of you that play together? And I hope you figure it out!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

It's me...and my three kids :) Children of divorce...I get them 2 out of 4 weeks a month. We game together, which might be weird but they spend a hell of a lot more time with their dad than I did when I was a kid, not because my dad was a bad dude or anything, we just had different interests.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set AOD Member AOD_Vial8R's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Back when my wife was playing BC2 and BF3, we would get random errors when we were both trying to play sometimes. I don't think we ever figured out the root cause before she took time off for medical reasons.
    If you need help with anything, let me know and I will do my best to either help or find someone that can.
    Current Ryzen 7 Gaming Rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GWYjQV

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_MahJack's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I think I'm a bit too late..

But UDP problem? Heh, this is an easy fix... Download Smart Port Forwarding, open the program and right click anywhere, choose "Add New Forwarding Port".... Then type in 3659 under "Listen Port", pic: http://oi62.tinypic.com/1111ok9.jpg
    Do the same for TCP. Don't change anything, not even the IP.. the only thing you need to do is what I said above
    If they are not running, right click any of them and choose "Start all"

Yes, you have to do this everytime you restart your PC.

"Those who break the rules and regulations are scum, but those who abandon their comrades are worse than scum."

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

@AOD_MahJack: Thanks man, I appreciate the info. As I understand it from some research, the solution you proposed solves issues where only one computer on the LAN is port forwarding, but that you cannot have multiple computers port forwarding.

Here's some detail: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield...1759699/page/2

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Also, I want to say NO WORRIES - we have a workaround and while it's annoying, my post was just to see if anyone in AOD had a solution or maybe if someone had a contact at NFO who would probably have the protocol analysis tools to articulate what is going foul, which I would then use to contribute to the 64 page forum post on battlelog about the issue.

I'm ok with our lame workaround, but I really appreciate all the feedback on this. You guys are great.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set AOD Member AOD_Vial8R's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Have you ever ran any network tools such as wireshark or any command line checks to see if there are any issues with traffic on the network, router, or modem?
    If you need help with anything, let me know and I will do my best to either help or find someone that can.
    Current Ryzen 7 Gaming Rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GWYjQV

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_MahJack's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Oh. This could be a little ridiculous, but have you tried to do it on every PC? I did it with a couple of friends months ago when I first bought the game, it worked well.

"Those who break the rules and regulations are scum, but those who abandon their comrades are worse than scum."