Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Foxka's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Replacing most of my computer, need help!

Hey everyone, I'm Foxka and this Christmas I'm replacing my Motherboard, Processor, and Graphics card.

What i have in mind is http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kVQxTW
    However, I see that there is a combo for the same GPU but with a different mobo --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.2007010

Suggestions? I'm not very good at computer hardware so i don't even know if these parts will work together. :P

Happy holidays AOD!

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Stiakas's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well the mobos dont have big differences.The second link doesn't have a CPU even though you can add one.I'd go with the cheaper one

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The newegg link has an incompatible motherboard.

Furthermore, for AMD, if you plan to overclock, then avoid mATX boards and make sure you have 8+2 phase power delivery on the board so that it does not blow out when you start increasing the voltage.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What is incompatible with the newegg link exactly? The CPU?

I've updated my privacy policy AOD Member AOD_Nozama's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

The motherboard on newegg is an FM2 socket, That would use an A series quad core APU like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-359-_-Product which has integrated graphics or an Athlon X4 quad core without integrated like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-348-_-Product.

If you want to go six core + with an AMD processor you'll need an AM3/AM3+ board, one of my personal favorites is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-514-_-Product.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Nozama View Post
    If you want to go six core + with an AMD processor you'll need an AM3/AM3+ board, one of my personal favorites is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-514-_-Product.
    And this MOBO would work with the R7/9 card and processor i chose? Also, feel free to make you're own recommendations on what parts to use, i use an XFX 850w power supply so i have plenty of power.

I guess it's probably necessary to list my current specs, huh...
    CPU: Intel Core i3 550 duo core
    Mobo: Gigabyte H55M-S2V
    RAM: 2x 4GB DDR3 sticks
    Graphics Card: Radeon HD 6870
    PSU: XFX 850W XXX Edition

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

That looks good

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Cool, thanks for the help everyone!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hi Foxka, I don't want to seem presumptuous but since you mentioned not being good at computer hardware I thought I'd offer some thoughts, have you installed a mobo and a CPU before? If not allow me to offer a few suggestions.

When you pull out the old board give the interior of the case where the board will sit a wipe down with a barely wet cloth then dry it, alcohol works better than water as it will dry much faster, but water is free, and while you have the case open cleaning out the fans and their vents is also a great idea, it should take no more than 15 minutes. Make sure the case is completely dry before putting the board in of course, this quick cleaning will ensure that there is no debris that could act as a conduit between the board and the case, this is unlikely but better safe than a fried new board, and the cleaned fans will help your computer cool more effectively and reduce drag on the fans themselves which will make them last longer.

I'm not sure again if you have installed cpus but this particular one is called a zero force insertion socket, you lift that little steel lever on the side and gently set the cpu in the holes, there will be a gold triangle on one corner to help you line it up, under no circumstances should you push, if you meet resistance something is wrong and you should take the cpu out and look for obstructions, bent pins will turn into the most tedious labor you can imagine as you try to straighten them (16 bent pins took me 90 minutes to repair) and if they are bent enough you can't fix them. After it sits in flush simply put the lever back down and lock it in place, ideally it should take you 30 seconds.

Next comes the most vital part for a long lived processor, the thermal paste and heat sink. The heat sink is the big metal piece that sits on top of the cpu and thermal paste acts as a bond to fill the microscopic crevices in the sink and the processor. It is conductive so it should go nowhere other the the top of the cpu, just enough to cover the top of the cpu is sufficient, in this case too much is bad as the paste has the consistency of marshmallow spread will will squish out if you glom it on. Thermal paste is decently cheap, you can find it at any computer hardware related store f0r $15 to $25 a tube depending on quality... and exchange rates.

Anyway, if you already knew all that, sorry to waste your time, if you didn't hope it helps
    Last edited by Rawnae; 12-02-2014 at 02:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! bodaciuos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Rawne,

Thanks for the tips. I have never replaced a Mobo, and will be doing soon in a new build. I have replaced everything in a computer aside from Mobo and processor.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah Rawne thanks for the advice! Luckily i've got a geek with me to help me though :p

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

My pleasure, I have done an unholy amount of building and tearing apart PCs and Laptops other than Macs, I've seen RAM burn, Capacitors explode, and processors melt, I've even done it to some of my own accidental destruction. Hopefully this will prevent any you could have had

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Stiakas's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well that system look pretty good it could easyly keep you at good graphics for the next couple of years.Have fun and good games with your new PC

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

We could get into lapping processors and heatsinks but that's farther than you need to go :)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Whatever decision you make, consider this upgrade to push you out 4 to 5 years in regards to usability. It will save you bucks in the long run.