Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Proposition for Math/Science/General_Academic Related Sub-forum

Hello,

I have an inkling with the number of people that span this awesome clan that there are at least a few members who are capable and may also be willing to offer math and science related assistance and/or on various other subjects (literature, history, and more).
    I propose we set up a sub-forum for academic related questions with one caveat: the person asking the question cannot simply just ask and be given the answer. Their must be dialogue to insure the questioner actually understands the material which is being discussed. I am open to ideas on how to enforce this policy, but, the bottom line of this idea would be no assistance one way without equal or more assistance/attentiveness the other way. It should be appropriately reciprocal when related to effort on all sides.

I am relatively fluent in basic math, science, and history. I would be happy to offer help to any one out there who needs it if I am available.

Furthermore I am also in need of assistance related to harder math and science which I am finding difficult.

Feedback, ideas, and overall opinions to this proposition are welcomed and encouraged.

Thank you for your time.

-skinnyM

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I ReapeRx124's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I think this is a pretty good idea, but I have no idea how it would be implemented. Maybe just another sub-forum or something? Would have to talk to the head honcho's here and see what they think, and if the idea is even applicable in some way.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for responding!

I understand it would be something new, and I also understand that other people (way higher way than me) would need to discuss this. On your comment about 'is even applicable in some way'. I just want to say I think it is very applicable. We have multiple students here and also teachers and people from numerous fields. I think it would be in everyone's best interest in this clan to openly share information especially when it is requested. It would be even better to have a sub-forum to focus those kinds of questions to.

I appreciate your guys consideration.

Thanks.

-skinnyM

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I actually think this is a great idea, so I support it. :p

I'd probably be willing to pitch in on any math/science questions that come up, assuming I'm familiar with them(I have yet to get into Pre-calc and Chemistry).

But yeah, good idea. Although it would be interesting for people to put up an essay they wrote and let the grammar nazis proofread, lol.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm not sure a sub forum would be feesable yet a sticky post or something is more doable

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hello,

I would be willing to offer help on math (trig, calc3, linear algebra, etc), physics (newton laws, EM, basic quantum stuff, signals), , and science (blah!). Also i would be willing to help on programming and hardware related things.

It was mentioned a sticky post rather than a sub-forum would be more appropriate: I understand your point, but I have to disagree. A sticky-post would be come a very long multi-paged thread which would only be easily monitored by a selected few who checks the latest 'replies' in that thread. It would be much easier for people to help other people if they can see exactly what they need help on in a thread posting illustration. I noticed there is a forum category called "Off-Topic Discussion & General Chat". There is tech support offered as one of the sub-forums there. I think it would be a great place to have an Academic-Support forum.

History, math, science, engineering, literature, medical, art, any kind of interesting intellectual material :)

I appreciate your consideration.

-skinnyM

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I ReapeRx124's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_skinnym View Post
    Thanks for responding!

I understand it would be something new, and I also understand that other people (way higher way than me) would need to discuss this. On your comment about 'is even applicable in some way'. I just want to say I think it is very applicable. We have multiple students here and also teachers and people from numerous fields. I think it would be in everyone's best interest in this clan to openly share information especially when it is requested. It would be even better to have a sub-forum to focus those kinds of questions to.

I appreciate your guys consideration.

Thanks.

-skinnyM

What I meant by applicable was just if it would be allowed on these forums. I think Darkness has the right idea with a sticky post. That might be more feasible than a whole new forum/subforum or whatever.

But by all means, I'm totally on board with this idea.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ummm... I'm pretty good at biochemistry and molecular biology.