Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Question regarding my new computer

I recently got a new computer and I have noticed a strange smell coming from my psu. Some people have said it's the new computer smell and it will go away, however others have told me to replace my psu. I would really appreciate your guys input on what I should do, since I'm a little scared that I might have the dreaded defective psu issue here.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Assuming your PSU is new, out of the box, the smell is typically normal, as this is a new component with its original packing. Give it a few days to burn off excess. Providing the smell is not indicative of burning insulation, the odor should dissipate.

However, burning odors such as insulation or overheating components is an entirely different issue. Monitor you system, inspecting the guts periodically, looking for unusual smoke. It's unusual for a system to have electrical issues, however, it is possible.

I manage a Internet Lounge where we repair computers, refurbish laptops and desktops, and in our experience, the odor you're detecting is typical of a new PSU. To be on the safe side, though, pop the cover while operating and do as I suggested. Peace of mind is better than piece of equipment fried.

A Mighty Pirate!
    Rank
    Master Sergeant
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Is it making any strange noises? If it's a smell, are you seeing smoke? PSUs generally get pretty warm, but that's why there's a huge fan mounted inside. If it smells electronic, it's supposed to. If it's working, ie., your computer turns on, and all your peripherals (all the things that get power from the PSU) are working, then I don't think there's an immediate need to go replace it. Generally if your PSU is malfunctioning... nothing will work.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I also forgot to mention that my computer was shutting off during intensive gaming sessions skyrimENB, Farcry 3. The card i was running at that time was the r9 280x which I swapped out for the Nvidia 970 GTX, since then I have had no restarts as of yet. However if I do have another shutdown then I will assume it's the psu.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

A high quality PSU of 750W is minimum - I'd recommend you use 850W to be on the safe side.

A Mighty Pirate!
    Rank
    Master Sergeant
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Insane View Post
    I also forgot to mention that my computer was shutting off during intensive gaming sessions skyrimENB, Farcry 3. The card i was running at that time was the r9 280x which I swapped out for the Nvidia 970 GTX, since then I have had no restarts as of yet. However if I do have another shutdown then I will assume it's the psu.
    This happened to me as well. But it was because the fan on my GPU was failing. Actually failing is a bad word to use... more like completely burned out. I didn't discover the culprit until my GPU temp hovered around 90 degrees celsius-before promptly shutting down.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Question regarding my new computer

could you let us know what PSU you have. I noticed better quality components generally dont smell as bad.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Fishwithadeagle's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ModJPB View Post
    could you let us know what PSU you have. I noticed better quality components generally dont smell as bad.
    I agree with what he says, typically the cheaper that it is, the more that it smells. In my own experience, all my components generally haven't really smelled after maybe 15 minutes, so if you are still smelling it this long after the fact, I would send it back. Probably some kind of badly attached heat paste.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Stiakas's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I would recommend to wait for 7 days if the smell doesn't go away you should visit a mechanic to check it out

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have 600w EVGA bronze 85+ certified and it seems like the plastic smell is going away so I think I'm going to be ok.

Can I have your Tots QwertyLegend's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Okay, the shutting off during intensive gaming just means that the cooler on your gpu is most likely trying to draw too much power from the PSU, causing the capacitors in the PSU to drain and shutting off the computer entirely. You need to either upgrade the PSU to something with a bit more punch, or power limit your GPU cooling, which will limit your performance.
    As for the smell, a decently machined and produced PSU generally has no scent when operating other than maybe a slight metallic scent, but if it smells like burning plastic that may be cause for concern.
    I'd error on the side of caution and replace it with a more powerful PSU, the Corsair HX850 should give you everything you need and is an excellently produced PSU (I run one in my primary rig)

Random Gamer #32507 House_Ordos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have had this problem before where it was the video card, I was shipped one that just kept cutting out after X amount of time. This was with no obvious reason. I hooked back up my old video card and had no trouble. I informed amazon, they shipped me out a new one and I never had a problem again.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Mikey-2-Guns's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have never had or heard of a new PSU with a smell coming from it...