I took an IQ test and the results were negative Synergy559's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Power supplies :D

So, my power supply went out last weekend and so I had to order a new one yesterday. I ended up getting the modular Coolmax 600W CU-600B (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817159088) hopefully it gets here soon so that I can get back on my computer lol. Wondering what kinda power supplies you guys are using, the recent events sparked my interest some since I feel like power supplies don't really get talked about too much compared to mobos and CPUs.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Power supplies :D

The best of the best is Seasonic. Antec has great warranty and customer service though.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I ReapeRx124's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I've been using a Zephyr 750 (Take a guess at the wattage) power supply for a couple years now, it's been the best power supply I've ever had and it's shown no signs of degradation/lack of performance.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

I have a Corsair 750w gold something something something. The modular one. Brought it 3-4 years ago now... And a Seasonic Platimax 1200w in my backup machine.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Foxka's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

XFX 850W Pro Edition :D
    All the power you could ever need and then some xD

Knee High to a Worms Ass Torquewrench's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

ax1500i, 3x 970 sli

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Kc2000's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Using a Thermaltake 600W something something.

Knee High to a Worms Ass Terrish's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Synergy559 View Post
    So, my power supply went out last weekend and so I had to order a new one yesterday. I ended up getting the modular Coolmax 600W CU-600B (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817159088) hopefully it gets here soon so that I can get back on my computer lol. Wondering what kinda power supplies you guys are using, the recent events sparked my interest some since I feel like power supplies don't really get talked about too much compared to mobos and CPUs.
    Yeah, I believe it discussed so little because it's not related to observable system performance. However it is a wise move to put some decent branded one in your system, especially for long time operation. Personally I use a Corsair AX760i (digital) PSU, which has held up flawlessly for over 3000 hours now. If you're getting another one in the same price range, I'd recommend one from "XFX". XFX gets designs and batches from Seasonic - which is a company that knows what they're doing within the field of electronics engineering.
    Last edited by Terrish; 01-10-2015 at 11:47 AM. Reason: grammatical

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The reason why power supplies do not get talked much, is because virtually all motherboards meet or exceed the ATX specifications for power delivery.

For example, many cheap power supplies (those $20, 500 watt ones, or the "free" ones that come with cheap cases), will often fall well outside of the ATX specifications for line ripple and voltage stability on all of the rails, but many motherboards will still run fine on them.

The main need for a good power supply, is reliable power delivery that will actually sustain the rated power delivery, as well as protect the system. A quality power supply will have good input and output protection so that a surge will be less likely to damage the system, as well as protecting the system if something fails within the power supply.

Some of the best companies, are seasonic, and evga (evga sources quality parts that have some of the most stable power delivery e.g., http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory4&reid=380

The sad thing is that unless you are directly powering an audio amp with no input filtering, you will not notice the difference between a crap power supply, and a high end one. The time you notice it is when the power supply fails and the quality unit fails on its own, and the cheap one fails, taking your motherboard, CPU, RAM, videocard, and all of the storage with it.

PS, the company "be quiet", also makes good power supplies, but they cost more than similarly performing power supplies.

As always before buying a power supply, look for reviews and teardowns, if you see a single 85C cap, or anything made by capxon or other similar company, then you do not buy it regardless of brand.

Look for quality internal components.

Can I have your Tots click4bullets's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hate to tell you this but that coolmax is not a 600 watt unit. Generally if you see a power supply have a voltage selector switch on the back in this day and age, you might as well call it junk. That PSU is more like a 350W unit, and would choke trying to run a high end GPU due to its low amperage on the 12v rails (if the label is even correct, which with cheap power supplies it usually isn't).

I run this unit, which is a REAL 650w unit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182083

Can I have your Tots click4bullets's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Sorry about double post, couldn't edit my last reply due to time limit

Hate to tell you this but that coolmax is not a 600 watt unit. Generally if you see a power supply have a voltage selector switch on the back in this day and age, you might as well call it junk. That PSU is more like a 350W unit, and would choke trying to run a high end GPU due to its low amperage on the 12v rails (if the label is even correct, which with cheap power supplies it usually isn't).

I run this unit, which is a REAL 650w unit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182083

These are the specs for mine: +3.3V@20A, +5V@20A, +12V@54A, [email protected], [email protected] @ up to 94% efficiency

Yours (if it can be trusted): +3.3V@24A, +5V@24A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, +12V3@15A, [email protected], [email protected] @ completely unknown efficiency. It's not 80Plus certified, and it doesnt even attempt to add a bogus efficiency number. let's assume 70% efficiency at best

Very little uses the 3.3v and 5v rail nowadays, the fact that yours has higher than mine says they are doing all they can do to cheap out since providing more 3.3v and 5v will add extra 'fake' max wattage to bump up the number. Having three low amp rails is horrible because they aren't shared. You will be starving all your components for power. This doesn't even include the efficiency. If you tried to pull 600W from it, you're probably looking at 750-900 watts of power from the wall. + at that high power load, the ripple will be out of control. Ripple can kill components.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I think for power supplies to meet the ATX specs, it must be more than 70% efficient

With lower end power supplies, the main output leading to the DC to DC converters, will be limited to the max wattage, e.g., a 600 watt AC signal running at a high frequency All of the DC output rails then feed from that main AC rail, and there will be protection circuits leading to ach DC rail group in order to limit the overall current.

For example, if you look at the overall output of all of the rails, it adds up to well over 600 watts, but the combined totals are lower, this means that they can do a 3 rail 12V delivery but not have to limit each rail to around 12 amps (where running a single mid range GPU will instantly cause the over current protection to kick in for that rail.

For the coolmax PSU, here is the full power output info.