Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue prowler707's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Wtf 4gb ram on x86 no bueno????

alright i attached a txt file from cpuid about my system and i really need to understand why a 32bit system doesnt like 4gb ram (4x1GB) but will take 3gb i know it wont see the whole 4 gb but seriously i already bought the ram and opened the package which came as a kit ive never seen this issue before but apparently after some research (ty google) i find out im not the only one with the problem. ty in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Null0000's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Is your RAM stick compatible with your motherboard? If it's an older one it may not be able to handle a single 4GB stick. Check the documentation.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default 4gb ram on x86 no bueno????

My nephew had a similar problem with a Dell. We installed 4gb sticks in his machine and found out that dell only designed it to support 2Gb sticks, even though other boards with the same chipset could support up to 8gb.

Try checking the manufacturer of your computer or motherboard and see if there is a bios update. A lot of the times a bios update will help support newer hardware. Also check in the bios for an option that says something about "memory hole remapping" and enable it.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

A thread with similar issue from google:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...-em61smem61pm/

Might need a BIOS update. COuld also need to have all the memory modules the same and have 4x 1GB sticks.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

ok lemme clarify a little more i have 4 ram sticks that are 1 GB each they are exactly the same manufacturer and the same exact speed however i didnt think asbout that memory hole remapping could use a little clarity on that (GOOGLE) and im currently using the latest bios update for this board (which is too old for acer to care about updating any further thank god for bios modders)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

ok i see that its asking for some hex number in bios for the bottom memory hole ... i don't count in hex

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Buy some more bueno....guessing? Check with the mb manufacture find what is supported.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default 4gb ram on x86 no bueno????

Thanks for the clarification. Wow it has been a long time since I have seen 1GB sticks!!! With four sticks the memory bus is possibly being stressed. You can try bumping up the voltage for the dram, northbridge, and/or the imc. Unfortunatly without an update on the bios for things like this, your motherboard may have reached its peak.