Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy TekNicTerror's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Looking 4 Good & Free AV

As the title says, looking for some good and free anti-virus; that doesn't have ads or pop up's.

I currently run AVG AV Free Edition 2015, but ever since last Oct when I tried the Pro Edition features out, I get a pop up about 2-3 times a day, AVG Zen I believe is the title of it, about upgrading to Pro; if AVG is the best free AV to have, anyway to stop the pop ups?

Also use Spybot: Search & Destroy 2.4 and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Premium) for spyware and malware needs.

In my first big WoT clan, someone posted using those three things from above was total coverage; course that was like 2-3 years ago.

First take the plank out of your own eye.
    Rank
    First Sergeant
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

I have been using this for years, and it's done fine for me.

https://www.avast.com/en-us/index

Art by Blinix

Thoughts become Actions. Actions become Habits. Habits become Character.

Why, you stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf herder! MatchMaker's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You got to be careful when you run multiple anti malware/virus programs because sometimes they don't play nice with each other. I've been using AVG free edition with Malwarebytes free edition (run a scan about every month) for a while now and I haven't had any issues.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Here is a good site to help you make the right decision. Beware that not all of them are free.

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The main issue with running multiple scanners, is the auto protection. (you should only have 1 virus scanner auto protection active ay any time, (having 2 can cause issues).

If you only have 1 auto protection active, then you can install as many scanners as you want. Just be careful since many scanners now have startup items that you cannot fully disable, thus multiple scanners will still eat up your memory, and CPU time even if they are not providing auto protection.

I recommend multiple scanners for a backup system, e.g., having an old PC with an external hard drive dock, and a bunch of scanners installed, then when you are repairing a system, you can backup a users data, then have that other system scan their data for infections.