Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Technologies are invented to make our lives easier, not our choices.
    AOD_Adapt1ve's Avatar
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,251

    Default GPU Overheating Issue

    So this is an issue i have never had. I was playing Planetside2 and all the sudden my gpu crashes. I restart and it happens again. I open up my pc and notice my GPU fans are not spinning.

    So i restart my pc. The fans spin till windows boots then they stop. 1 fan spins for a while then stops. I cleaned out my drivers and reinstalled them and nothing. I am thinking its my PSU. I am wondering if anyone has had this issue. I used EVGA Precision to force my fans to spin at 40% and ran a game. This caused my entire computer to restart.

    I am running a ASUS Nvidia GTX 970 Strix. I have a evga suprnova 650w 80plus gold psu.

    Any help is appreciated.

    I have also had this comp built and functional for 3 months now.

  2. #2
    Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    19
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Hmm... Can't RMA it unless you have an extended warranty. You might try buying a new GPU cooler that fits on the 970 and try that. Don't forget to clean off the main GPU part and re-apply Thermal Paste when you swap GPU coolers. It's not hard, is just takes a little work. Might get your temps on the 970 down even further. Though for future reference, buy an EVGA if you go with Nvidia, they have much better fans if you go with their ACX 2.0+ models.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k Clocked at 4.5 Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual X OC
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4 Mobo: MSI Z170A SLI Plus
    Storage: 120 GB SSD, 1.7 TB total HDD space Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
    Microphone: CAD Audio u37

  3. #3
    No Tots for you! AOD Member AOD_Jones*'s Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,036

    Default

    Better to make sure the cause of the problem first before spending more money... Is the PSU only three months old? Have your calculated your parts inputted wattage?? I'm just gussing but I'm thinking you may have needed more of a 750W.. But with your modular PSU you can try a different 8-port PCI-E power cord, or just make sure it didn't move loose.. Try some googling too cause where your parts are not too old, you're probably just a quick fix away or getting some warranty.

  4. #4
    1337 AOD Member AOD_RedBag's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    PlanetSide 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Age
    24
    Posts
    506

    Default

    PSU is fiine, the fans died so the card overheats. Send it for RMA or if you don't mind the hassle, get an aftermarket cooler.

  5. #5
    No Tots for you! AOD Member AOD_Jones*'s Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,036

    Default

    I've never had fans die in three months.. but hopefully its all fine and dandy

  6. #6
    Technologies are invented to make our lives easier, not our choices.
    AOD_Adapt1ve's Avatar
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Jones* View Post
    Better to make sure the cause of the problem first before spending more money... Is the PSU only three months old? Have your calculated your parts inputted wattage?? I'm just gussing but I'm thinking you may have needed more of a 750W.. But with your modular PSU you can try a different 8-port PCI-E power cord, or just make sure it didn't move loose.. Try some googling too cause where your parts are not too old, you're probably just a quick fix away or getting some warranty.
    The PSU is a couple years old, it was something I was not using from a bit coin miner I built. If my fans were bad then why would they work with EVGA Precision? If my PSU upgrade does not fix it then I will look at an EVGA card.

  7. #7
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Floppycatt's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Age
    31
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Have you actually used a program to monitor your temps? You may be crashing from a CPU related issue and it may have nothing to do with the GPU. Run a program to monitor GPU temp an CPU temp. Also, try running your CPU at stock speed or even underclock a bit and see what happens.

  8. #8
    Don't shoot, I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_lanius424's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Elite: Dangerous
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Age
    20
    Posts
    1,742

    Default

    Adapt1ve that's a new feature of Planetside...but in all seriousness it would seem like this issue would be related directly to the PSU as it is the oldest component of your build. To help everyone who is trying to help you could you list your entire system specs (exact parts would be most beneficial) as I could then check around and see if the PSU is your limiting factor. My guess is that during the three months you have been using your computer that the PSU has been running near peak performance and coupled with the fact that you used it for mining, (which I will presume you ran around the clock for the most part) so I would guess that your PSU is dying. Hopefully that isn't an issue and it's just something on the software side of things. Just in case you have to get a new PSU what brand would you recommend he get? I personally went with an 80 plus platinum PSU from corsair and I haven't had any issues what so ever. Another thing you might want to take into consideration is whether or not you are/will be overclocking as that will draw more power. It could also be something to do with where your power supply is being drawn from and whether or not you're getting clean power. I'll post again if I think of anything else or you respond.


    Sent from the Matrix using telepathic communication
    <signature goes here>

  9. #9
    I have come to terms with the fact that I am cannon fodder. AOD Member AOD_Cyrihs's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Blizzard Universe
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Tecumseh, MI
    Age
    36
    Posts
    586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_lanius424 View Post
    Just in case you have to get a new PSU what brand would you recommend he get?

    I've had really good luck with EVGA PSU's. Really good quality.

  10. #10
    Technologies are invented to make our lives easier, not our choices.
    AOD_Adapt1ve's Avatar
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    Thanks for the input guys, but it turns out it was my GPU. I plugged my old one in and it worked perfectly. Replaced it and problem solved. I appreciate the input, but it wasn't the psu at all, it was ASUS proving once again I should have gone with EVGA in the first place.

  11. #11
    Don't shoot, I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_lanius424's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Elite: Dangerous
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Age
    20
    Posts
    1,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Adapt1ve View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, but it turns out it was my GPU. I plugged my old one in and it worked perfectly. Replaced it and problem solved. I appreciate the input, but it wasn't the psu at all, it was ASUS proving once again I should have gone with EVGA in the first place.
    Glad to hear your issue was Asus and not EVGA, Personalky I think Asus does a fine job when it comes to mobos but that's all I have by them at this point.


    Sent from the Matrix using telepathic communication
    <signature goes here>

  12. #12
    Can I have your Tots FatalPinch75's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Age
    42
    Posts
    11

    Default

    why are you running your fans at 40% your probably over heating your CPU or Video card
    run your fans at 100%

  13. #13
    Can I have your Tots Hammie's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Age
    25
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I know the GTX 900 Series cards have a something built in to them that the fans stay idle until the card reaches a specific temperature or GPU usage.

    I've never run my fans at full speed. I set them to run at a percentage lower than the temperature.

    60c Temp = 50% fan speed. It sits comfortably at 60c with the majority of games I play.

  14. #14
    If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Warframe
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    This sounds like a driver issue relating to the fan control. Did you download a program like MSI afterburner and set custom fan curves/speed?

    That's always worked for me. I'd recommend doing this anyways to keep the GPU cooler than standard and taking the chance of driver issues with fan controls out of the picture.

  15. #15
    Banned from Forums Shpeckledorf's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    17
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Hey wait! My friend had this exact same problem, and he just kind of dealt with the crashes. I found out later he was having the problem and fixed it pretty easily for him. His problem, just to be clear, was that when he played moderately powerful games and/ or high end games like CS:GO or Tomb Raider on Ultra, his GPU would crash and a message at the bottom right corner of his monitor would say something like "The display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

    The way I fixed it, was by FIRST: Lowering his fan curve, because it was actually drawing a lot more power than you'd think (It was at 100% curve), THEN, on his desktop, right clicked, and opened the Nvidia control panel. From there, I went to "Manage 3D Settings". After that, I navigated to "Global Settings", then clicked "Power Management Mode". When I did that, it gave me the option to switch to either "Adaptive", or "Prefer Maximum Performance". I clicked "Prefer Maximum Performance", then applied the changes.

    And Voila! Problem fixed.

    ALTHOUGH, did you buy this GPU "Used", or "Refurbished"? If so, the previous owner probably screwed up the card while he was using it or poorly refurbished it. It could just be your card finally dying on you or something, if the above solution doesn't work.

  16. #16
    If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Warframe
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Shpeckledorf View Post
    Hey wait! My friend had this exact same problem, and he just kind of dealt with the crashes. I found out later he was having the problem and fixed it pretty easily for him. His problem, just to be clear, was that when he played moderately powerful games and/ or high end games like CS:GO or Tomb Raider on Ultra, his GPU would crash and a message at the bottom right corner of his monitor would say something like "The display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

    The way I fixed it, was by FIRST: Lowering his fan curve, because it was actually drawing a lot more power than you'd think (It was at 100% curve), THEN, on his desktop, right clicked, and opened the Nvidia control panel. From there, I went to "Manage 3D Settings". After that, I navigated to "Global Settings", then clicked "Power Management Mode". When I did that, it gave me the option to switch to either "Adaptive", or "Prefer Maximum Performance". I clicked "Prefer Maximum Performance", then applied the changes.

    And Voila! Problem fixed.

    ALTHOUGH, did you buy this GPU "Used", or "Refurbished"? If so, the previous owner probably screwed up the card while he was using it or poorly refurbished it. It could just be your card finally dying on you or something, if the above solution doesn't work.

    So the issue was a power issue, you could have just bumped the volt up by like .1 and it should have been fine... SOunds like silicon degradation, I have the issue on my 5970, but that was pushing the stock volts when it came out.


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin By: ForumThemes.com
Top