Let the bodies hit the floor... AOD Member AOD_Opokalipse's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

Default new cpu and mobo -budget pc from hell

So, I just grabbed the i3 4170 cpu (heres my build , doesnt include dvd), and the Asrock h97 anniversary mobo. I did this to save a $150 CAD (from i3 to i5). I also picked the 1150 socket over the 1151 to save money on ram (about $60). I probably should have just saved my money, but nonetheless the performance bump from an amd a8 5600k is still significant:

-Fallout 4
    from medium 1080p, no AA, no AF, 60-30fps, no shadows or light
    to
    high 1080p, AA Low, AF 8x, 60-40fps, low shadows

-Division
    from low to medium (shadows are still low of course)
    from 720p to 1080p
    performance jump was 30-60 instead of 30-50 though the avg before was about 30 i now average 60fps in small areas, and 30 fps in large firefights still better then
    the 27-30fps i was getting most of the time in large firefights

idle temp from 50C to 40C :) still have to install my hyper evo 212 :D
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake" -Napoleon

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Warframe
    Status
    Active

That CPU and socket will last you a while. Don't forget if you buy smart from eBay you can get good CPUs for very little money when you need some more power.

I'd, personally, upgrade the GPU before grabbing a different CPU as that's what most games prefer.

Overall a decent choice.

Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

I would have personally gone with http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/yrdb4D as, it's a little more money, but more upgradeable. You could in the future with the Chipset in the motherboard, change to an i5-6600k. The SSD you bought is COMPLETELY un-reliable, but dirt cheap. And, I don't like Corsair PSU's, as they do not have great customer support. EVGA has some of the BEST customer support EVER.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k Clocked at 4.5 Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual X OC
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4 Mobo: MSI Z170A SLI Plus
    Storage: 120 GB SSD, 1.7 TB total HDD space Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
    Microphone: CAD Audio u37

Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

yeah. i wish i waited for the ssds to go on sale (a month after i bought it). it is dirt cheap, the main issue is you get 100-400mbs read/write instead of 400mbs constant, but for the price I cant really complain as it does its job.

the biggest issue with this build is the corsair psu if you run it above 80% it craps out luckily im running below 400 watts so thats not an issue. something to think about though. i would recommend the cpu i bought, but the 270x was purchased last year just before the 300 series came out. i like the performance im gettin, but i will probably upgrade my videocard next year :)

Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    I would have personally gone with http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/yrdb4D as, it's a little more money, but more upgradeable. You could in the future with the Chipset in the motherboard, change to an i5-6600k. The SSD you bought is COMPLETELY un-reliable, but dirt cheap. And, I don't like Corsair PSU's, as they do not have great customer support. EVGA has some of the BEST customer support EVER.
    yeah, i will definitely grab evga psu next time :D (maybe in a couple months) didnt realize they were so affordable now