If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Billerkiller3's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Geekout Need help! BF 4 settings for modem/routers (Gaming)

I have a Linksys AC1900 Router with a Verizon D-Link Modem/Router. Need help with the settings to hopefully get rid of the high ping spikes while playing BF 4. Trying to figure out if I have a bad phone line coming in or the settings aren't right.

I took an IQ test and the results were negative rave2n's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

To test if it truly is a router problem you can enable DMZ in the router to what your IP currently is within the LAN.

ipconfig in cmd to get your IP, do not use your WAN IP.

To test if its trouble in your line, you will need to do some trace routes.

tracert x.x.x.x - Fill in the X's with your desired trace location, can use host name as well.

If your traces come out okay, and there isn't failed/lost hops after passing your router and ISP gateways then you can try inputting these ports into your router for forwarding/opening to see if it will clear out the issue.

TCP: 80, 443, 9988, 20000-20100, 22990, 17502, 42127
    UDP: 3659, 14000-14016, 22990-23006, 25200-25300

Only use these if DMZ clears up your problem, and tracert finds no issue down the line. Don't want to pop open so many ports unless there is a good reason for such.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    World of Warcraft
    Status
    Active

I thought that setting a certain IP address as the DMZ was creating an offload kind of thing for the incoming packets. Doesn't the DMZ address have all traffic routed through it first and then to the other clients on the LAN? Does the DMZ simply bypass port opening and allow all traffic to reach the client without issue?

I took an IQ test and the results were negative rave2n's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_DirtyApe777 View Post
    I thought that setting a certain IP address as the DMZ was creating an offload kind of thing for the incoming packets. Doesn't the DMZ address have all traffic routed through it first and then to the other clients on the LAN? Does the DMZ simply bypass port opening and allow all traffic to reach the client without issue?
    Its an additional layer of security is most practices, but yes all traffic is routed to the DMZ first, but in this case we are using it for troubleshooting.

If its a setting in the router, with DMZ enabled on his current IP, it will allow all traffic to the IP and tell us if its a port setting or others blocking his traffic.

I don't believe it is the router, but its always good to take it out of the equation with a quick test

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Update: If your ping is spiking to 900 & you have Windows 8.1 delete all files in your windows temp. Go to run and type temp.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Another Update: That fix made it a little better but the problem is still there with the high ping spikes. According to Verizon the phone line is ok. May switch to Comcast, at least it's faster service in my town. Problem is I don't like either and there is no ther choice to go with. Any help would be appreciated.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Tzamen's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have 900 ping while playing today. I hope it doesn't stay.